Chapter 43- Old History & Poor Excuses

(A/n- Please remember to comment and share, it truly means the world when you guys do!)

"I bought you, your favorite." Matthew nodded as he slid me the basket of fries and took a seat next to me in the booth.

"Are you trying to bribe me?" I question with a curious raise of a brow and he smirks in response- but not in some annoyingly weird cocky way. It was more like a I'm clearly trying to flirt with you so don't turn me down kind of way. Is that even a thing?

"Is it working?"

"Try harder."

"You got it babe." He winks before slinging his muscular arm over my shoulder which is currently being cover by a white hoodie since it's pretty chilly inside of here.

I immediately roll my eyes and tug his arm off of me as I take a fry or two. "Don't call me babe."

"You're feisty, I like it."

How did I get here? That's a story in itself!

Matt practically kidnapped me against my own will.

After he asked me out the proper way and I turned him down, he picked me up off the ground and started heading out to one of our favorite restaurants which is only like a three minute walk.

Matthew and I had history.

No- literally we had history.

Sixth grade was the first time I laid eyes on the mysterious green eyed boy who completely stole my heart in history class to be exact. We both sat in the back eating those addicting yet extremely spicy chips and literally just gossiped about how annoying the girl in front of us was being.

That girl was no other than Jessica Thompson.

What a surprise? Whoopee for me.

We practically spent every single day together and got super close. Then he moved the same day I started sophomore year. It broke my absolute heart and I guess that explains one of the walls that I've put up in my life.

It's like every time I get close to somebody they decide to leave, so it's better to protect myself before something like that happens again and I don't let myself get to quickly attached.

Anyways, Matt and I lost contact over the years because we honestly believed that he was never going to move back, but I guess just like Jessica some things change.

What's the odds that both Liam and I's exes both decide to come back the same exact week?

Even if Matt and I never technically dated- it sure felt like it with how much we use to act like one.

"So, tell me about this guy you're dating."

"Liam? Not much to say." I shrug and Matthew chuckles in amusement with a shake of his head at me. "That's it? That's all you have to say."

"Yeah?"

"Okay, I'm clearly not getting anywhere with that, so where exactly is the lucky guy?"

And as if Matt touched a sensitive nerve I can't help but flinch at that simple question. Where is Liam? I sure can name a lot of places where he isn't but where he is, is definitely not something I really want to think about.

"He's currently hanging out with Jessica Thompson." I remark blandly and Matt's face instantly morphs into one of distaste, pulling his eyebrows down and his mouth into a slight frown at the sound of that.

"Jessica Thompson? As in his ex Jessica? The girl that he was completely obsessed with? The same girl that shattered his sweet little heart? That Jessica?" He questions in disbelief and it makes me feel slightly better knowing that I'm not completely overreacting by this situation.