A Night In (Phana)

It's late.  Well later than I want it to be. This morning I did the surgeries I missed yesterday which pushed all of my morning appointments to the afternoon.  It made for a long day but it's my responsibility.  These are my patients, these people are trusting me with their lives.  I take that very seriously.

Thankfully the last patient has left and I am now on my way home. As I head towards the exit I run into Beam and Kit. Kit is animatedly talking about his plans for the weekend. Beam and I share a smile over his excitement. It's his anniversary, he should be happy.

Beam every now and then sneaks in a word or two about his and Forth's plans for the weekend. They're going camping, at least I think that's what he said. Kit started talking louder when he noticed he didn't have our full attention.

"Fine Sunshine, what are you and Forth doing this weekend?" He relents.

"Oh my sweet Kitty, thanks for letting someone else have a chance to talk." He starts.

Kit smacks his head and scowls at him.

"Whatever, what are you guys doing?" He asks.

"Camping." He says but doesn't look all that pleased.

"Why don't you tell him you don't actually like the outdoors." Kit asks.

"Yeah, it's been years Beam. I think he'll still like you if you tell him you hate the outside." I add.

"I don't hate it. I just hate, you know, nature. The bugs, and the noises, and the trees, the animals, fresh air, staying in a tent, eating outside, cooking over a fire..." He says.

"Oh is that all?" Kit says with a smirk.

"Shut up Kitty." Beam says frowning.

I wrap my arm over each of their shoulders and we walk out together.

"What are you doing this weekend Ai'Pha?" Beam asks.

"Shopping. Oh and I won't be here next week. Well most of the week I'll still be in on surgery days." I quickly say.

"What? Why?" Kit asks.

"I have some things to tend to so I took some time off." I tell them.

They look at me suspiciously.

"What? I have a private life too." I defend.

"No. You don't. You have a pitiful 'waiting for your life to start' life." Beam counters.

"I decided to stop waiting and start living." I tell them.

"Yeah, we'll see." Kit says heading off to his car.

"Have a fun weekend." Beam and I call to him which he waves to.

"You too Beamy. Don't forget the bug spray." I say with a wink and physically shivers.

The drive home goes well. I'm tired and would love to stay in but I'm the one who suggested going ring shopping. Maybe I'll be lucky and he'll like the first ring he sees. Sure, then he'll sprout wings and fly into the sun.

I walk into the house and it's dark.  He's not here? Where could he be?  It's not like he has a car.  Maybe he went exploring.  What if he got lost? What if he lost his phone? What if he's hurt somewhere calling for me.

Then a flicker catches my eye.  I drop my bag and creep towards the flickering light.  I round the corner to the dining room and come face to face with a candle lit dinner.

As soon as he sees me he comes over and takes my hand leading me to my seat.  I sit and watch him pour a glass of wine for me.

"I made these." He says happily.