The Delivery (Wayo)

I'm looking over the final specs for the product we're about to send out. Everything looks good. I have to admit that I feel a certain amount of pride whenever we finish one. They're practically human. They look real, they feel real, they can think, reason, feel emotions, and love. Plus they're anatomically correct with all parts working as they should. This is a complete mate.

Not only that, this is one that grows with you. They're basically clones so they age from the moment they hit maturity, which for us is when they hit the requested age.  This way when their partner is sixty they don't continue to look twenty. We are leaps and bounds above any other AI company out there.

"Well Audrey, looks like you're ready to go. Where are you going?" I ask.

"California." She says.

"And what is the name of your companion?"

"Thomas Mayer." She relays.

"Good job.

"How do form your initial link?"

"A kiss with my companion forms my initial link and connection." She tells me.

"Correct and then?"

"And then coitus is required to create the bond." She says.

"Are you nervous?" I ask.

She looks at me slightly confused.

"I don't understand your question?" She responds tilting her head.

"Are you nervous? You'll be meeting a stranger that you'll spend the rest of your life with. You'll become intimate with him almost immediately. How do you feel about that?" I question again.

"I don't know." He says truthfully.

"Hmmmm. Are you excited?"

"Yes." She replies smiling shyly.

"I understand now. Good girl. Go get your things, your flight leaves tomorrow. Good luck Audrey." I say.

I watch her leave and head to her room. That's right her room. In order to make them understand and feel alive we had them basically live in a dorm. It's like college. With boring people. They don't interact well with each other at first. We have to teach them to acclimate to their surroundings and adjust. By the time they leave they can communicate with each other, they form friendships, they learn how to be social. Basically they can function just as well as any human out there.

Yes, we've done a good job. Thomas should be very happy with her.

"Yo! You're not going to believe it. You've got to see this!" Peter says as he runs into my office.

Peter is one of my colleagues. We started here at the same time so we know each other very well. He's fun and I'm glad that he's my friend.

He starts rummaging through my desk.

"Where is it? The picture of the guy you're totally in love with?" He asks while moving my things around.

I point to the picture that's pinned up.

"You're not going to believe this. I'm so excited for you!?" He practically screams.

He sets down a new application. This is what he's excited about? Then he points to the picture of the purchaser. Pha? What? Why? I grab the packet and flip through until I get to the specs he wants. I freeze looking at the picture he's attached. Or should I say pictures. Dozens of them from our time at University. He's ordering a companion that has my qualities, my appearance, even my name.