Chapter 22

It all happened so suddenly, that I didn't know how to react. My life didn't flash before my eyes, and all I could see was rubble, puddles of water and dust. The pain I felt was unbearable and I could hardly move. My breathing went heavy and tears flooded my eyes. It was quiet, which was not what I imagined how it would be like; dying in the hands of a villain. I had thought about it before, and I always imagined myself protesting, not accepting it as part of my reality. But, I did. I laid on the ground with agonising pain.

Seconds passed and I surprised myself with the fact that I could shape some form of thought. 

"Olivia?!" Peter panted. I had never heard his voice as sharp with pain as it was right there. Words couldn't form themselves onto my mouth.

"..yes," I managed to say, my voice small. He took off his mask with difficultly and he started to try to lift the mass on top of us.  I joined in but it barely made a difference, the weight hardly budged. I felt as though all of my insides melted into magma and my arms felt like powerless noodles.

After I gave my last ounce of strength, the weight fell back onto our backs. I cried with the immense pain. Peter called out for help, his loud voice echoing, reminding us that no one was there. I shut my eyes as I tried to calm myself, trying to think straight.

"Come on Peter," he repeatedly whispered to himself. The huge weight on top of us started to get lighter, Peter yelling with pain. I joined in once again, trying to get the most strength out of my sore arms. This time, I was sure I was going to dislocate all of my bones from my joints. Both of us were giving our utmost and somehow, we managed to move the weight so high, we carried it above our heads.

"One, two, three..." I said, my voice strained. We struggled to push off the weight backwards but we still managed. Pushing the weight off of us reminded me of that one time I helped Peter with a gangway that the captain had thrown onto him.

I fell back onto the ground, breathing like a pug. As soon as I inhaled the air, I choked it back out since it was so dusty. Spider-Man stood up slowly onto his legs.

"Are you okay?" he asked me, offering his hand.

"I'm great," I said as I took his hand. He helped me up and as soon as I was on my own two feet, my hood came undone, unveiling my loose hair. 

"Let's go Ms Mystic," he said before he started running. I ran behind him, my back still aching. He abruptly webbed himself up onto a near billboard sign, I followed behind but I flew instead. Spider-Man swung to the nearest building and he webbed himself to the Vulture. I was about to tell Spidey that I was right behind him but I realised I couldn't because we had no AIs to connect us together. 

The Vulture flew up higher into the sky so naturally, Spider-Man followed behind.  I ran across the billboard and as soon as I reached the ledge, I flew up. I hadn't been scared of heights for a really long time but at that moment, all of the worst scenarios possible kept replying themselves in my brain.

As the Vulture got higher, Spider-Man webbed himself to him. The Vulture increased his speed, flying higher into the sky. I followed behind them not as fast, but at a moderate speed. We kept following the Vulture until he went past the clouds and the city wasn't even visible. In front of the Vulture, was the huge plane that was transporting some of my uncle's avengers stuff to the new avengers facility. The plane was covered with retro-reflective panels which made the plane look somewhat hidden. 

The Vulture made his way under the plane's midsection and Spider-Man stuck to the underside too. The Vulture used his wings to cover whatever he was doing meanwhile Spidey tried to use his web shooters but the web simply flew backwards since wind was opposing it. Spidey was struggling  to move closer to the Vulture and he started to slip further away from him and closer to the plane's tail. Luckily, I arrived just in time and I helped Spider-Man closer to the Vulture's wings. We tried to move the wings but they were way too affixed tightly to the plane. I kept pushing with all my might, until a small drone ejected from the plane and flew off on it's own.