Chapter 2

The bell rang so loud it almost burst my eardrums. 

"What class do you have?" Peter asked me. I glanced at my schedule to double check.

"AP physics with Ms Levitt," I replied looking back at him. He closed his locker and turned to face me. 

"Cool, we're in the same class. This way," he said as he started walking to the classroom. I followed him through the crowd of students, trying to make their way to their class. After a few seconds, the crowd became non-existent and the hallway only consisted of a couple of students.  

"Ms Levitt is really nice and really good at.. uh-physics," he said. I let out a short giggle.

"I bet she is." Once we arrived at our desired classroom, we entered and Peter sat down in the last seat of the back row. I walked to the middle row and stood next to an empty seat.

"Is this seat taken?" I asked a boy with slicked back, black hair. 

"Nope," he replied simply. He was concentrating on his phone but he then focused his attention on me. I sat down on the seat beside him and I placed my backpack on the floor.

"So.. you're new here?" he asked, still looking at me.

"Yeah, I just moved here fro-"

The second bell rang a little quieter. Ms Levitt, stood up from her chair and she walked in front of her desk. 

"Good morning class, firstly, I would like to introduce our new student," she said referring to me, "Welcome Ms Olivia Lane-Stark to Midtown."

"Thanks," I replied giving her a shy smile. Whispers sounded in the room. 

"Secondly, since we've got our new student, we can start working on our final's project." Most of the class groaned.

"This will be 50% of your final mark so I recommend doing your best. You can do this on your own or you can choose a partner and I want you to do it about any physicist you like." The students already started discussing with each other with whom they were going to partner with. I wanted to do the project with someone else since I had no idea of how projects usually worked in the US. I looked to my right to find the boy from before talking with another girl. I didn't ask him since it was obvious he was going to work with that girl. I turned around in my seat to see Peter writing down something on his notebook.

"Uh.. Peter, can we be partners?" I asked him. He looked up from his notebook and at first, he looked sort of puzzled.

"Yeah, sure," he replied turning slightly pink. 

"Thanks."

"Okay, that's enough. Let's start," said Ms Levitt as she walked in the center of the classroom, "Yesterday we talked about Newton's three laws. Madison, can you please state the first law."

"Every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line, that is unless it's compelled to change its state by the action of an external force," said the girl that was talking to the slicked back hair boy.

"Good job. Olivia, how about the second law?"

"The acceleration of an object is dependent upon two variables - the acting upon the object and the mass of the object," I replied without hesitation.

"That is correct."

--

Chemistry went by so slowly and I made no effort in participating because I had no idea what was going on half of the time. After Chemistry it was lunchtime, something I didn't struggle with that much.