17. The truth

Tord's POV:

"Tord, we should head home." Tom said. I groaned slightly and opened my eyes. "Okay. Let's go." I said and we stood up. We started walking back to our house. I looked behind me and the place looked normal again.

We reached our house. It was 6:43 so it was still pretty early. But when we entered our house, Edd ran towards us. "Guys, where were you? I was worried!" He said. We looked at him.

"Edd, calm down, we just went for a little walk." Tom said calmly. "This early?" Edd said. "Well, I woke up at 4 am and I didn't want to sleep so I walked out for a bit." I said. "And I went to search for him." Tom finished.

Edd sighed. "Well, if you're heading somewhere again, please leave a note or something next time." He said. We nodded and he smiled.

"Come on. Now that you are here, we can have breakfast." Edd said and we walked in the kitchen. It was bacon and eggs. We thanked him and started to eat. Then a while later, Matt came in. He smiled at us and waved.

Tom, Edd and Matt were talking about something while I was just thinking. 'When will I tell them? I mean, they need to know and they will know sooner or later.' I thought and sighed.

"Tord, is there something on your mind?" Edd asked me. I looked at him and shook my head. "Are you sure? You seem kinda...off." Tom said. "I'm fine, don't worry." I answered and started thinking again.

'Even though I still don't know, what the hint means. It doesn't make sense to me. And how will the guys react?' I thought getting worried. I wanted to sigh again, but I didn't want to worry the others so I had to hold it in.

Even though I stayed silent, I must look worried, because Edd talked to me again. "Tord, what's wrong?" Edd said. "Like I said, I'm fine, Edd." I answered. 

Edd violently stood up which made me flinch a little. "Tord, you are NOT okay. Something just has to be wrong. So tell us what it is!" He said. I was suprised. 'Wow, he really must care a lot, huh?' I thought to myself.

"I-I..." I stuttered. "You what?" Tom joined Edd. "Yes Tord, what is it?" Matt said. It was an awkward silence. They were looking at me, I was looking at them.

I kept glancing between the guys and then sighed in defeat. "Well, It's just that..." 'No, they won't get me this time. They just won't.' I thought. "I-It's nothing, Edd. Really." I said. He glared at me as I smiled nervously.

He sighed and sat back down. "Alright then, but if something IS wrong you can tell us you know. We are your friends, or not?" He said. "I know, Edd. I am fine, I swear." I said. "Okay then." He said, but still didn't looked comfortable with my answer.

"Now if you excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom." I said and stood up. I walked into the bathroom and sat down on the floor with a sigh.

'How pathetic. I can't even tell them the truth. Why am I so scared to tell them? I mean, I want to be a human again, but what about the scars? What about the harpoon? The would just freak out and kick me out. I would be alone...'

I wanted to cry when I thought about them kicking me out of their house while yelling mean things at me as I was crying. I started quietly sobbing and pulled my knees to my chest. I suddenly heard knocking on the door.

"Tord, are you okay? You've been here for ten minutes now!" I heard Edd say. "I-I'm fine..." I said trying to hold the sobbing in, but my voice cracked. 'Oh no...' I thought.

"Tord...are you crying..?" Edd asked. I stayed silent. "N-no..." I answered trying to sound as believable as I could, but failed. Edd then opened the door with Matt and Tom behind him. 'Dang it, I forgot to lock the door.' I thought.

When they saw me, they gasped. Edd ran up to me and kneeled beside me. "Tord..." He said. I looked down afraid to look at him. There was silence.

"You seriously need to tell us what's wrong." Tom said as he kneeled next to Edd and Matt did the same. I looked at them. They all had worried faces. I sighed in defeat. "Okay... I will tell you." I said.

"Let's just say that... I have a mission. I was told to regain your trust and friendship. And I did. They told me that I can become a human again or if I want to, I can accept the fact that I'm dead and go to heaven...but..." I paused.

"Like I said, I completed the mission, but nothing happened. I was stuck in that dream loop to figure out what am I suppose to do, but after a day they let me go. They gave me a hint of what to do, but...I just don't get it..." I finished and looked down again.

They all stayed silent. "So, that's the problem?" Edd asked me. I shook my head. "It's just that, if I will become a human again, which I want, I was just...worried that I would have those scars and the harpoon stuck in my chest and..." I stopped and looked up at them.

"...I thought you would kick me out. And even though, I would have to survive the pain I would feel... It would be just...too much..." I said.

"Tord! We would never kick you out! And not because of some stupid scars!" Edd said and smiled. "B-but I-" I was cut off by Edd hugging me. "Hey, It's okay. We will try to help you, right guys?" Edd asked the other two.

"Sure!" Matt said. Tom however just stayed silent. "But, why can't you stay like a guarding angel?" He asked. "Well, It's an awesome feeling to be a guarding angel and all, but...it just feels like you're no completly alive if you know what I mean." I answered.

"Oh... I understand..." He said and looked down. He looked...upset? Why would he be? "Hey. It will be okay, I promise you." I said and hugged him with a smile. He looked up at me and hugged back. "Yeah...sure..."