- 1 -

chapter one:

Caelum Forest hated three things in this world.

The first thing he hated, was his first name, Algol, which meant --- quite literally --- "Head of the Goat" or "Demon Star". His younger brothers had prided themselves in teasing him with that, despite knowing that he loathed it with all of his being.

His mother would, too, use the name if she was upset, but he couldn't exactly hit her with pillows or dangle her by her ankles like he did his brothers. In order to avoid this, he stayed on her good side, compiling with what she wanted and not wanting to upset her at all.

The second thing he hated was being tardy. Caelum valued his time, and resented being mismanaged with it. If he wanted to be respected, he would have to emulate it.

So, he kept a very neat schedule of all of his activities. Where he will be, when he will be doing those things, and how long it may take. He turned in class assignments on time in pristine condition and refused to give anything but his best efforts towards his education and his life.

These, he told himself repeatedly, were very good skills to have later on, and if he didn't practice now, he wouldn't be able to have as much control of it in the future.

The third and final thing, Caelum hated with all of his being was Peter Parker. Yes, the bumbling idiot who has been drooling over the same girl since they were in middle school.

Peter Parker, the same annoyance who insisted that they were friends when clearly Caelum wanted nothing to do with him.

Peter Parker, the silly, goofy teenager who he had grown up with in middle school and somehow, some way couldn't get him to leave him alone. Just once, just for one day, so that Caelum wouldn't have to see his grinning face and hazelnut eyes. Just so that Caelum could breathe --- just for moment!

Yes. Caelum hated three things. Three entirely separate things that by themselves, were very much simple to deal with. He could silence his brothers when they used his birth name. He could listen and reason with his mother if she used his annoying name. He could manage his time and keep himself even.

And concerning Peter Parker... He could avoid him, ignore him, and insult him until he finally gave their one-sided friendship a rest.

These three things separate were easy to deal with, easy to... Compartmentalize and sort until he could find time for later. That's how most situations went down. One issue at a time, maybe two, if it came down to it.

But all three? The unholy trinity of things Caelum just couldn't stand?

That was a match made in hell, by his standards.

° · ° · ° · °

Caelum say silently in the principal's office, his hand folded and shoulders squared. On his right, was no one other than Peter Parker himself, sporting a bloody nose, and busted lip, holding an ice pack to his swollen cheek. He sent occasional glares towards Caelum, but he didn't entertain him by noticing and making an even bigger scene.

On his left was Ned Leeds, Peter's best friend and follower. They were through the thick and thin together. One was rarely seen without the other. Today, he was serving as an 'eyewitness' of sorts ― even though the boy had nothing to do with the scene.

The three of them sat waiting outside of the familiar office door of Principal Davis. Caelum sighed at the thought, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible.