Chapter 2: And Thus A Hero Was Born

Evelyn's POV

The next morning I am up and dressed before sun up and make my way to Dr. Erskine's lab to help prep for the experiment. I hum as I move about setting things up when I hear a familiar voice and smile.

"Evie,doll I brought coffee and a muffin just for my favorite nurse" Howard says flirting as always.

"Well, thank you Howie that is awfully lovely of you." I smile and take the coffee and muffin."So,who did you bring to your room last night?" I ask after I sip the coffee.

Howard smirks" Why do you want to know? Jealous?" he taunts.

I roll my eyes" Oh,you wish." I tease as he and I fall into the same rhythm of working while I dismiss his flirting. A while later Peggy walks in with Steve. I smile and walk over"Good morning Steve. How did you sleep?" I ask smiling brightly feeling more alive around him.

He nods"I slept great ma'am" he says softly.

I roll my eyes"Its Eve or Evie." I offer.

He smiles"Eve it is then." he says as Doctor Erskine walks up to him and greets him and instructs him. Soon he is in the pod and the injections are complete. I stand by Howie nervous,but not showing it.

"It's probably too late to go to the bathroom,right?" Steve jokes.

Erskine smiles"We will proceed."

Howard goes about slowly rising the percent. When it reaches 50% we hear Steve scream out in pain. I rush to the pod"Steve?" I call to him worried. I turn to Howard"Shut it off Howie. Kill it!" I exclame

Steve shouts back"No! Don't! I can do this!"

Howard keeps rising it"Eighty. Ninety. That's 100%" he shouts as sparks fly everywhere then the pod shuts off and the lights come on.

"Steve can you hear me?" I call to him as Howie opens the pod and Steve stumbles out. Dr. Erskine and I catch him as the officials pile out of a glass viewing box talking.

"I did it." Steve says.

"How do you feel?" I ask as I take his vitals and pat sweat away.

"Taller." Steve says

"You look taller" Peggy says as she hands him a shirt.

Col. Phillips talks to Senator Brandt then a bomb goes off and a man steals the serun.

"Stop Him!" he shouts. The man shoots him and runs out Peggy behind him. I drop to my knees beside him in nurse mode"Stay with me please" I beg him. He points to Steve's chest to his heart and stills. Steve runs out after the guy as tears leak down my face my hands and arms and clothes covered in his blood. Howard pulls me off of the floor holding me.

Later after I clean up I take some blood samples from him.

"Think you got enough?" Steve ask me.

"Any hope of reproducing the program is locked in your genetic code. But without Dr. Erskine it would take years." Peggy replies from the doorway.

"He deserved more than this." Steve says.

I look up my puffy eyes meet his blue ones"He was so proud of you,and even if it only works once he'd still be so proud." I gently say to him. Peggy,Steve and I find ourselves in a room with Howard,the Senator and Col. Phillips. I block out most of the conversation only to be taken out by Peggy nundgeing me.

Col. Phillips"We are taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags Agent Carter Nurse Evelyn. You too, Stark. You're flying to London tonight."

I look shocked as Steve speaks up"Sir, if you're going after Schmidt, I want in."

Col. Phillips sighs" Your an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo."

"The serum worked." Steve protest.

"I asked for an army and all I got was you. your not enough." Col. Phillips replies.

"Your making a big mistake Colonel. The doctor died believing Steve was a great man. He is the man this country needs for the war. Benching him is a mistake." I argue only to be silenced by Steve's hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you" he softly tells me.

Senator Brandt turns to Steve" With all due respect to the Colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it." he hands Steve that days paper." The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, do you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?' he finishes.

Steve nods"Sir,that's all I want."

The Senator smiles" Then, congratulations. You just got promoted."

***Thanks for reading my story. Below are the sites I used for information and all pictures are found via google.***

http://transcripts.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_America:_The_First_Avenger