Chapter 1: Meeting Blue Eyes

Evelyn's POV

I stand beside my sister as she greets the new recruits slightly amused at the show playing out before me.

"Gentlemen,I'm Agent Carter and this is Nurse Evelyn Carter. We supervise all operations of this division." Peggy announced loudly as I stand beside her.

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Though I was signing up for the U.S. Army." says a gap toothed soldier.

I watch Peggy as she addresses him. "What's your name, soldier?" she ash him eyeing him calmly.

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty." he replies sass in his voice.

As this continues my eyes drift to a small blonde man and I wonder how he got accepted. I approach him"What's your name?" I ask him softly my accent thick.

"Steve Rogers ma'am" he replies formally.

I study him before I step beside Peggy as she punches Hodge, he falls to the ground as Col. Phillips pulls up and orders the man to get back in line before he begins his big speech,but I find myself studying Steve carefully.

Peggy leans over and whispers"Are you ok? You haven't taken your eyes off of Rogers."

" Pegs,I think Rogers is who the doctor should choose." I whisper back.

She looks at me like I'm barking mad. I flush and look down. Over the next few weeks training goes into full swing and Steve has been doing poorly in all physical task. Today Pegs is leading the men in warmups while Col. Phillips,Doctor Erskin and myself are talking.

Col. Phillips"You're not REALLY thinking about picking Rogers,are you?" he ask the doctor.

" I hope he does,Steve seems like the clear choice to me." I put my two cents in.

Erskine" Thank you Eve. I wasn't just THINKING about it. He is the clear choice."

Col. Phillips"When you brought a ninety-pound asthmatic onto my army base,I let it slide. I thought 'What the hell,maybe he'd be useful to you like a gerbil.' Never thought you'd pick him." he says as Peggy yells at the soldiers who are doing pushups.

"While it's true he is physically in poor health,he has a certain attitude that is perfect for the experiment." I speak up.

Col. Phillips" You put a needle in that kid's arm it's gonna go right through him." he says as we examine his poorly done exercise."Look at that. He's makin' me cry." he finishes

"I am looking for qualities beyond the physical." Erskine argues back.

Col. Phillips sighs"Do you know how long it took to set up this project? Of all the groveling I had to do in front of Senator What's-his-name's committee?"

"Yes, I'm aware of your efforts." Erskine says.

"Then throw me a bone. Hodge passed every test we gave him. He's big, he's fast" he starts

"He is a jerk and a bully" I interrupt him.

"You don't win a war with niceness, doctor,nurse. You win wars with guts." Col. Phillips says as he takes a pin out of a grenade and throws it in the crowd of recruits."GRENADE!" he yells.

The men and Peggy duck behind things except Steve who jumps on the grenade"GET AWAY!" he yells as he curls up on it. when it doesn't go off he sits up"Is this a test?" he ask.

I smile at him and nod"Yes,and you passed." I reply.

Col.Phillips looking displeased"He's still skinny." he grumbles.

The day passes by,and around nightfall I find Steve"Hey. How is my favorite solder?" I ask him.

He chuckles"I don't know about favorite,but I'm doing great ma'am." he replies sweetly making me smile.

"Your too kind. I came to tell you as of right now no more food or water till after the procedure tomorrow." I gently say.

Steve looks shocked"I was chosen? Why?"

Doctor Erskine enters holding a wine bottle"That I suppose is the only question that matters." he replies sitting in front of Steve and beside me.

"This is from Augsburg, my city. So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own. You know, after the last war, they... My people struggled. They... they felt weak... they felt small. Then Hitler comes along with the marching, and the big show, and the flags, and the, and the... and he... he hears of me, and my work, and he finds me, and he says "You." He says "You will make us strong." Well, I am not interested. So he sends the head of Hydra, his research division, a brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now Schmidt is a member of the inner circle and he is ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for occult power and Teutonic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers, but for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power hidden in the earth, left here by the gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man." he explains his story.

"Did it make him stronger?" Steve ask.

Erskine nods" Yeah, but... there were other... effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside, so good becomes great; bad becomes worse. This is why you were chosen. Because the strong man who has known power all his life, may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows... compassion."

"Thanks. I think." Steve says softly.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good man."Erskine says.

Steve nods"I promise."

Erskine turns to me" My closest friend,I trust you to help him stay on this path."

I nod"Always." I vow. Doctor Erskine leaves telling Steve to get some rest. I stand up"I should go and prep for tomorrow. Get some rest Steve" I say softly smiling and I walk out going to the tent I share with Peggy.

***Below are the links to the sight i used to get the quotes from. I used googe to the best of my ability to look up the correct information,so please be civil.***

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458339/quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v620E6ozrKI