Chapter 11: A Wonderful Pepper And A Crying Heart

Evelyn's POV

We landed in California and Happy gets off the plane first going put the suitcases in the waiting car. I Step off just before Tony and see a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes. I smile at her"You must be Pepper Potts. I'm Evelyn Carter pleasure to meet you." I greet shaking her hand.

She smiles"Ahh,yes I got a message saying you would tag along. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." she says.

Tony hugs Pepper and I look away not wanting to intrude on the moment. I decide to call Steve and let him know I'm here like he asked to my surprise he picks up"Hello beautiful." he says through the phone.

I smile and flush"Hello handsome, I called to tell you we landed and I just met Pepper. Lovely woman." I babble.

I here Steve chuckle"I'm glad you made it there safe. I don't have long to talk since we are on the move,just stay safe Evie." he says.

"I should be telling you that." I tease.

"You know I will. I have a pretty soulmate to return to." he says.

I smile"mmm,do you? I might get jealous." I tease."Stay safe Steve. Come home to me." I say almost begging him.

"Of course I will. I can't leave my best girl all alone." he says and we hang up.

"That sounded mushy." Tony complains and Pepper shakes her head at Tony"That was a private moment." she scolds him.

I smile"It's ok." I say softly as we all get in the car and go to his house. I gasp"Woah,it's huge." I say amazed.

"Course it is. It's my house it has to be." he teases.

The car parks and we get out. Pepper shows me to the guest room"Make yourself at home. If you need anything ask me or Jarvis." she explains.

"Thank you. And thank you for being ok with me being here. I I don't know what I would do alone in New York." I hold the dogtags as I speak.

"Of course. Noone should be alone during the Holidays." she gently says then excuses herself so I can unpack. Days pass and Tony locks himself in the lab leaving Pepper to run the company and me to wander around Malibu by myself. I come back one day and hear fighting coming from the lab. I close my eyes and sneak back to my room and lay in bed turning on a movie from my list of movies and eat from the box of pizza and donuts I brought back. I hear the door open and I look away from the movie and see Tony"Come on get up. We are going out to eat with my friend Rhodey." he says turning the lights on. I close the boxes and get up"Ok. Let's go." I say grabbing my phone and wallet shoving them in my pockets before following him. He take his suit and I take one of his bikes. I pull up and park it pulling the helmet off. I walk in and see Tony ordering.

I walk over"Ordering for me too how thoughtful of you Tony." I tease before turning to whom I assume is Rhoday "Hi. I'm" I begin but he cuts me off"Evelyn Carter. It's an honor to meet you." he shakes my hand.

I smile"Call me Evie or Eve and I'll call you Rhodey." I suggest,

He nods"Course Eve. Tony tells me your the Cap's soulmate."

I nod"True. Found out just before he crashed." I say and wince at the memory.

He and Tony go back and forth about Tony's sleep and I watch a news story about a man called The Mandarin instantly not liking him. I turn away and listen to Tony and Rhodey talk as he signs a kids drawing. I notice Tony start to act weird and shoot Rhodey a look and squat in front of the kid giving Tony a chance to get to his suit.

"It's a bad case of the jitters or as you know it now anxiety." I tell Rhodey as we go to Tony.

"Come on, man, this isn't a good look. Open up" Rhodey says.

"Sorry,I have to go." Tony says and takes off.

I watch him and sigh"Sad he has to go through that. I know how how feels." I say as I out my helmet on.

"It was nice meeting you,but I should go check on him. Don't worry about the tab I left the money on the table." I say and start the bike up and get going.

I get back and down to the lab to see Tony talking to Happy watching Pepper and some guy stand on a table and look at a picture. Tony and Happy hang up.

"Don't let that get into your head. She loves you." I say from the doorway.

Tony looks up "Yea. How did you get in here?" he ask.

"Pep gave me full access. After you left I got worried and came cheek on you." I explain.

He nods"I'm fine. "he lies.

I shake my head"Don't lie. I can see it in your face you are. You and Howard have the same tells." I say and enter the lab.

"I don't want to talk about it." he says.

I nod"Well if you do I'm here. I understand what your going through. Battle does that to a person."

I go up to my room as Pepper gets home to avoid the coming argument. I pull photos out of my bag that I stole from the file on me. I see some of me growing up. Several of Peggy and I. One of Howard and I and one of Steve and I kissing that night in the bar. Our first kiss. I slide down the wall as the memories rip through my body. I hold the pictures close to my heart as I silently cry. I end up asleep like that on the floor dried tears on my face as nightmares plague my dreams.

 I end up asleep like that on the floor dried tears on my face as nightmares plague my dreams

***THANKS FOR READING! ALL QUOTES AND PICTURES AND GIFS COME FROM GOOGLE!***