All Time Low

"And if you know, how do you get out from an all time low? I'm in pieces, it seems like peace is the only thing I'll never know. How do you get out from an all time low?" ~ All Time Low

~~~~~~~~~~

I got home from work around seven, just an hour after the guys left. Walking into my house, I see Nicole and Jade in the kitchen, raiding my fridge. Both were dressed in skinny jeans, T-shirt, and converse.

"Where are y'all going", I set my purse and house keys down on the table.

"More like 'where are we going'", Jade replied as she faced me and scrunched her nose in disgust as she took in my uniform. "That outfit is a crime against humanity".

I nodded my head in agreement before asking, "Where could we possibly go? It's seven on a Sunday night".

"Do you have a picnic basket", Nicole ignored my question as she set down the mustard, mayonnaise, pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, ham, turkey, avocado, bread, pasta, and yogurt onto the table.

Confused, I pointed to the pantry. Nicole opened it and pulled out the basket along with the cliché red and white checkered blanket along with it before putting the food in.

"Are we going on a picnic right now", I looked at Jade for confirmation.

"Yeah, we thought it was a nice night out for a bike ride through the Santa Monica Pier for a bit and then go to the beach to enjoy dinner".

That's not a bad idea, I thought. "Great. Is Danielle coming as well?"

"No, I asked her before her shift ended and she said she had an early day tomorrow. So it's just going to be us three girls", Nicole answered.

"Oh, yeah! I forgot about the bet", I exclaimed.

About a week ago, Danielle bet our manager, Ben, that she could stuff more gummy bears in her mouth in a minute than him. That was a bad idea, considering Ben has a competitive streak underneath his goody-two shoes exterior. The loser had to come to work at five in the morning to clean the place spotless, open up (even though opening time was at seven), and restock the toppings bar for an entire week. Needless to say, Danielle lost.

"Yeah, that was stupid of her to do something like that", Jade giggled.

We all started laughing before I realized something.

"We need drinks".

I pulled out three water bottles from the fridge before placing them in the basket.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Thirty minutes later, I changed into shorts, T-shirt, and tennis shoes and we were already riding our bikes through the Santa Monica Pier.

I could smell salty air mixed with funnel cake, cotton candy, and caramel apples. Although it sounds like it would smell disgusting, I found it rather pleasing. Little kids were running around with their parents in tow. Couples were walking around, holding hands, girls with stuffed animals that their boyfriend won them. I also saw a couple who looked well into their sixty's, holding cotton candy in one hand and held the other's hand in their own. I smiled and nodded at them, as if I was saying, "Congratulations on staying together for a long time". They smiled and continued on their way. But the best sight that I saw was the Ferris wheel displaying wonderful colors. One second it was purple and the next, it was blue and red. I was so entranced by it that I nearly didn't see a woman in front of me. I squeezed my brakes as hard as I could.