Behind Bars

"I feel something over me and try to runaway from the demons that haunted me. The key turns inside, no place to hide. I'm locked in no place, no place....cause I'm behind bars" ~Behind Bars

⭐⭐⭐⭐

The sound of the heavy steel door slamming shut behind me made me jump slightly.

I was at the jailhouse that was currently holding Jason in. It was two weeks after Danielle told me he'd been arrested.

Apparently, Jason was arrested, not only for being caught with drugs, but because he was linked to an underground prostitution ring. An officer went undercover and managed to get Jason and twenty other guys arrested. A hearing was set for the middle of June.

Needless to say, I was shocked about when I learned about what he had been doing in his spare time.

However, I needed to hear everything from his mouth, hence why I was here. I came by myself, despite my friends' protests, mainly about how I'm due in two weeks and shouldn't be out and about.

"You have fifteen minutes", the guard grunted as he roughly shoved Jason in the room.

I sat in the cold metal chair and placed my hands on the table that separated me from Jason.

There were dark circles under his bloodshot eyes and stubble was growing on his chin. His intentional messy hair was now an actual mess, making it seem as if he had ran his fingers through it countless times.

There was a pregnant pause between us before I decided to break it.

"So...is it true?"

He lifted his head slightly to look at me and casted his eyes down, nodding.

"Why?"

He let out a sigh before looking me in the eyes. "Because I'm a monster. Because I have nothing going for me. Because no one ever showed me love and compassion in my life. Because I'm a deadbeat guy who couldn't hold out for a job for more than two months. Because...I'm incapable of love."

Tears pricked my eyes. "Don't you fucking dare say no one showed you love or compassion. I did. I loved you with all my heart. I cared for you. You told me what your dad did to you when you were younger and I stuck by your side. I forgave you for what you did to me because I am going to have the best thing in the world in just a little less than two weeks."

"How can you say that?! I did the most unthinkable thing ever and you forgive me? That was the most unforgivable thing I've ever done in my life and I regret it. You're having a baby that you didn't ask for", his tone got softer towards the end.

"I know. I didn't ask for this baby, but I can't help but think she's just what I needed in my life."

Jason cradled his head in his hands and began sobbing.

I tried to stifle my tears from seeing him like this. He's always been strong, so to see him break down like this was heart wrenching.

He grabbed my hands and looked at me, tears streaming down his face. "Please, whatever you do, don't tell her about me. Tell her I died in an accident or something of that sorts. She doesn't deserve to have me as a father. I'm unworthy of her. Please, Amber."

"I...promise", I lay one of my hands over his, "I promise, Jason."

A sad smile graces his face as he stands up and walks towards the door, the sound of the handcuffs on his feet filling the room.

The guard opens the door and lets him out.

"Goodbye, Amber", he whispers and turns, walking away.