Chapter 62: Life Cont...

Rock Lee's POV:

I was heading back from my mission, I was in the forest running through the trees. I couldn't wait to get home to Sayuri.

At that very moment I spotted Hitsugi up ahead running full speed. Had Sayuri come to surprise me and head home with me? Then I realized Hitsugi was alone and his speed worried me. In an instant he was at my side and I took a scroll from his mouth. It had the Hokage seal. My heart dropped, perhaps I was being sent on another mission already or worse still something happened to Sayuri. I tore open the scroll and read it's contents. It was Kakashi's handwriting, but it was uncharacteristically messy and rushed.

"Lee, as soon as you get this scroll, run as fast as you can to the hospital. Lose the weights if you must but just hurry. Sayuri is going into labor. Shikamaru and I are taking her to the hospital and she will need you. Hurry."

I gave Hitsugi the scroll back and immediately began removing my weights. Sayuri needed me, our child needed me. I dropped the weights with a crash and took off at my top speed.

Hitsugi: "Hurry master, get to her before she has her puppies."

I quickly made it into the village and I didn't stop at the gate. I whizzed past everyone who seemed to be moving in slow motion. As I ran I passed Guy sensei, he flashed me an encouraging smile and a thumbs up. I ran into the hospital and stopped just short of Kakashi.
"Where is she!?"

Kakashi sighed in relief. She's in the delivery room.

Just then I heard a painful cry and I ran to the noise. I had never heard it before but I knew somehow that it was Sayuri. I ran into the room and startled Lady Tsunade, Shizune and Sakura, but they seemed relieved I was there.

Sakura: "We were worried you would never make it. She's absolutely delirious from pain, she's been crying and calling for you."

Just then I heard something that nearly broke my heart.

Sayuri screamed in agony and cried "Lee, I want Lee."

I was at her side immediately and held her hand.

"I'm right here blossom. I'm sorry I couldn't be here sooner."

She rolled her head towards me and her eyes had a glassy appearance with no sparkle at all. She was pouring sweat and her hand felt weak in mine.

"Lee, you made it."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Don't leave me. Please, I'm scared."

"Nothing in the world could keep me from you."

At that moment she squeezed my hand so hard that it hurt. Her pain far exceeded mine though. She began sobbing and with each passing moment I wished more and more that I had to shoulder that pain and not her.

Lady Tsunade: " This isn't good, at this rate she could....Sakura, give her more pain medication if you can and heal her. I'm going to go talk to Shikamaru."

Lee: "What could Shikamaru do?"

Lady Tsunade: "His family has a medicinal textbook they have written throughout generations of Nara's. He may be the only one who can save her."