Chapter 52: Proposal of a Lifetime

Sayuri's Pov:

I had just finished polishing my ninja tools when I heard a familiar knock on the door. I expected Lee to want to stay for supper. He did enjoy my cooking, however he wanted to take me on a date. I was thrilled at the prospect. I locked Hitsugi in the house, if I didn't then he went wandering around for his friend Akamaru.

We held hands as we walked to the restaurant. I always felt safe with my hand in his. I looked up at him and wondered if he felt the same as me, wondered what he was thinking about. The sun was slowly setting and the golden light gleamed in his hair, as we walked. He had grown so tall in the time we had known each other and he seemed to me more handsome with each passing day. I lowered my head blushing to myself at the thought that he was all mine.

Lee: "What is is Sayuri? You're blushing."

I blushed even more at the question.

Lee: "What's going through your pretty head?"

I looked up into his sweet eyes and I couldn't help but smile.

"I was thinking about how lucky I am to call you my own."

He blushed immediately.

Lee: "You always know what to say. You make me feel like the luckiest man alive."

He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead and we continued on until we reached the restaurant.

Rock Lee's POV:

Sayuri: "I was thinking about how lucky I am to call you my own."

Her kind, loving words set my heart to racing. She was all mine, this darling Kunoichi. Hopefully by the end of the night she would truly be mine, my fiance, my future wife. The prospect made me unbelievably happy and nervous at the same time.

We finally made it to the restaurant, the stars outside the window were a weak comparison to the beauty before me. Her beautiful eyes sparkled brighter than any star, and she was so beautiful that it was like she was sculpted after the heavens themselves. I wished I could freeze time in this moment and live in it forever.

Our eyes met and she lowered her head blushing in her sweet modest way. I reached across the table and held her small hand in mine. Her beautiful pale skin was a stark contrast against my many bandages. She trained just as hard as me, and she chose to let her scars and calluses show. Other girls would be horrified if their hands showed signs of training, but to her they were trophies and precious memories. It made me love her all the more.

As soon as we finished eating, I suggested taking the long way home. She eagerly agreed.
Sayuri: "I would love to, the stars are so beautiful tonight."

I smiled at her and taking her hand, I lead the way. With each step we came closer and closer to the peach tree. With each step my heart raced faster until it seemed as though it could beat out of my chest. As we approached the tree, a gentle breeze brought the scent of the blossoms to us and petals drifted in the wind.

Letting go of my hand, Sayuri ran ahead to the tree.

Sayuri: "Oh Lee it's so beautiful in the starlight! Look! The moon is directly over it! This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Don't you agree?"

Lee: "I would have to disagree with you on that love. You are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen."

She blushed and smiled up at me brightly.

Sayuri: "Oh Lee, you're just saying that."

I gulped, it was time. I knew she had to hear my heart pounding.

Lee: "I'm not just saying that Sayuri, I mean it. You're beautiful, kind, loving, and selfless. That's why I have to ask..."

I got down on one knee in front of her with the ring in my hand.

Lee: "...Sayuri, will you spend the seasons of your life with me?"

I heard her gasp, and then something unexpected. I heard her crying. I immediately looked up at her. She was bathed in moonlight and she got on her knees in front of me and hugged me tight. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. Through her crying I heard,

Sayuri: "Yes Lee, yes I will. I love you Lee, I always have and I always will."

I couldn't stop my own tears from falling, holding her close to me I stood up and spun her around. This was a dream come true.

I set her down gently as we both calmed down and I put the ring on her. It was beautiful on her hand and in that ring I saw a life together with her.

As we walked home I heard her giggle softly.

Lee: "What is it dear?"

Sayuri: "I was just thinking about how the group will react to us being engaged."

I laughed at the thought.

We made it to her house and stopping at her door step I kissed her goodnight. I hated to leave when I could sleep on the couch, but I had a mission the next morning.

Leaving her home I felt complete, and excited for the future.