Chapter 36: Devastation

Sayuri's POV:

I didn't want Lee to go. I enjoyed our date so much, it was like a dream. I had no idea of the nightmare to come. After our date I went home, elder brother was waiting up for me. He was reading those dirty books again, he tried hiding them quickly before I could see but he didn't succeed.

"You're upset with me for reading them aren't you Sayuri?"

I shook my head and he seemed surprised.

"While I don't care for the content of the books, they were written by a legend elder brother. You reading them is keeping Lord Jiraiya alive in spirit. He would have wanted you to enjoy those books that he dedicated his life to. They are part of his legacy."

He smiled at me and ruffled my hair. "That sounds awfully mature for a girl who sleeps cuddling a dog like it's a teddy bear."

I fumed and blushed. "I I... Well that's fine talk coming from a man who spends his time reading porn instead of actually dating. At this rate you'll end up alone or with Guy sensei!"

He stuttered but he knew I won that match. Sayuri 1, Kakashi 1. We were tied for the time being.

I sat up for awhile studying herbal medicine and poison extraction at my desk but I guess I dozed off because I woke up the next morning in bed curled up on Hitsugi. I got up and stretched. Elder brother wasn't awake yet, so I decided I would cook breakfast for him before I went to work. He was so surprised, he cleaned his plate and thanked me. He praised my cooking like always.

Hitsugi and I finally set off to work. Hitsugi was valuable to the hospital, he visited the sick and injured people and made them feel better and happier. He was especially popular with the nurses who would frequently give him treats.

We finally made it and with a goodbye pet from me and a lick to the face from him we parted ways. He was headed to a little boy's room, the child had fallen from a swing and broke his leg. He planned on keeping him company while his parents went on missions.

I went straight to surgery, after which I had another surgery to perform. No rest for the weary indeed.

I had just finished up that surgery and I was about to head to my next patient when suddenly I felt as though something bad would happen.

That was when the blast occurred.  I awoke buried under the rubble of the hospital with my patient protected under me. He didn't appear injured. I however took the brunt of the damage, my vision was blurry from being hit severely upon the head as well as by the blood pouring from the wound into my eyes.

I was so dizzy that I could hardly think straight. Pain radiated through my body, I was a mess of bruises and cuts. The head injury was bad but my leg was hurt worse. A piece of iron was pierced through my calf. I removed this with difficulty both from the lack of space and the pain, but my anbu training prepared me for this and my instincts took over. I quickly stopped the bleeding but I refused to heal myself. My chakra was a valuable asset that would mean the difference between life and death for so many people and I couldn't waste it on myself.

I used all of my strength to lift the piece of rubble off my patient and I. I finally saw what happened to our village. It was gone. Nothing more than a crater, everything was destroyed. I swallowed my feelings and picked up my patient, limping I carried him to a safer place. I didn't know what happened but I had to save as many as possible.

It would be much easier if Hitsugi were here to help... Hitsugi, I didn't even think about him. Looking back all I saw was chaos, with my patient now in a safer spot I had to return. I had to find Hitsugi and Elder brother.

At least Lee was safe, I teared up. This was our home, the only home we have known and he would return to nothing but rubble.

No I couldn't think of that now, I had to be strong for the villages sake. Shinobi don't show their feelings until the battle is won. Konoha would rise.