Chapter 48: Home

Sayuri's POV:

I opened my eyes and found myself in a hospital room hooked up to IV's and other machines. What happened, how did I get here? I began to panick and tried getting out of the bed only to collapse, I could hear crying off in the distance and among them I heard Lee crying.

"Lee! I'm coming!"

I had to get to him, I had to protect him and make everything okay. I tried dragging myself up and ripped out the machines, I didn't matter. All that mattered was Lee, the machines began to blare the sound of someone flat lining and as I collapsed again, the door to the room I was in opened and in ran Sakura, Lady Tsunade, my brother and Lee with a tear stained face.

The last thing I remember was Lady Tsunade shouting "She's in shock! Sakura help me, she's having a seizure!"

When I woke I could barely open my eyes. I felt that both of my hands were being held and someone was stroking my hair. Eventually I could finally open my eyes and I saw brother stroking my hair and holding one of my hands and Lee on the other side of the bed holding my other hand.

They didn't notice I was awake, so I spoke. My voice was hoarse and pained as I said "Brother, Lee. What happened?"

I saw their faces flood with relief as brother ruffled my hair in his usual sweet way, and Lee hugged me gently. Despite that it still hurt.
Kakashi: "Easy Kiddo. Your chakra level was bottomed out from healing and..."

"And?"

Kakashi: "The infinite Tsukuyomi also contributed."

He went on to explain what had occurred from the time I went into that genjutsu up until now. He seemed to be withholding information.

"What are you hiding from me brother? Kakashi look at me, what is wrong?"

Lee spoke up, he took my hand and spoke gently.

Lee: "Guy sensei opened the final gate and survived. He is crippled and according to the doctors he may never walk again and Neji... I'm sorry Sayuri"

He burst into tears and I struggled to choke my own tears back. I had to be strong for everyone. What I felt on the battlefield was real, Neji was gone and now my sensei had lost his youthful vitality.

Lee: "I'm so sorry Sayuri, I failed you, I couldn't protect them. I wasn't strong enough to save Neji, and had I have been stronger I could have done something to ensure Guy sensei didn't have to open the last gate. It's all my fault."

He was all but sobbing, I ignored the pain shooting through my body and pulled him close.

"None of this was your fault Lee, none of it. Don't focus on the bad things or they will crush you. Look at the good things you did, because of you countless lives were saved. Who knows what would have happened had you not been there. Neji didn't die in vain and his blood isn't on your hands. He died to ensure a future for us, for shinobi everywhere. As for Guy sensei, no one could have stopped him, you know how he is when he sets his mind to something. He did it for you Lee, as an act of love. All we can do is try to make his sacrifice worthwhile and make him proud."

I felt Lee relax in my arms and his crying lessened until it slowly ended.

Lee: "You're amazing Sayuri."

Kakashi: "Yes she is."

Already I saw the sadness and worry begin to leave my brother's eyes. I just wish my words brought as much comfort to me as it did to them.