Chapter 21: Lost on the path of life

Sayuri's POV:

It's been a month since I first became an anbu in Konoha and each day is a learning experience. I've been training with Kiba and his clan to further utilize Hitsugi. He is now a formidable weapon when we are together. Lady Tsunade is pleased, but then again it was her idea. When I'm not on missions, working at the hospital and training with Kiba, I'm with Team Guy. I train as hard as I possibly can so I am not a burden to them. Neji has even come around and isn't as distant towards me.

The curse mark on my chest is slowly fading, I do my best to conceal it and almost no one notices. Except of course Lady Tsunade, and...Lee. I swear it's like he can see right through me, I don't know how to describe it. He just seems to always know when it's acting up and he encourages the team to do another kind of training, and it's always one that won't impact me as much. He is kind to me, we often talk while sparring and training. Through this I have come to learn his life story, but he doesn't know mine. I don't know how he realizes it is affecting me but he does, perhaps it is due to the amount of time we spend together training.

As for Lady Tsunade knowing, it was obvious to her because of her medical prowess and knowledge of such marks.

I hardly ever get a moment to myself, but when I do I like to roam the village and the forests. When I stand beneath the trees it's as if I'm at home again in the Land of Woods... No it's not like home. This place, these people are much nicer than anything and anyone I experienced in my home, except of course my mother.

I must have zoned out because I was snapped out of my thoughts by Kakashi sensei who was reading his porn in the tree above me.

Kakashi: "Lost on the path of life too? You were deep in thought weren't you?"

Sayuri: "Yes sensei, I was."

My curse mark decided to act up at that very moment and let me feel more emotions than any of the previous times it acted up. Before I knew it I felt tears running down my face. Kakashi sensei of course couldn't see this due to my anbu mask and head wrap, just the same though he jumped from the tree and landed next to me.

Kakashi: "What were you afraid to tell us in the arena? Why didn't you go on?"

I took a deep breath to steady my voice

Sayuri: "I can't tell you. There are some things better left unsaid sensei. Wouldn't you agree?"

Kakashi nodded slowly, I left as fast as I could and returned to my new home. Sakura and the girls got together to decorate it and make it pretty for me. Ino filled it with flowers in vases, Tenten put decorative weapons on display which were beautiful and deadly. Hinata knitted beautifully colored blankets and sewed curtains and table cloths. Sakura contributed herbs hanging to dry and medicinal plants in pots. It was a labor of their love and I truly appreciated it.

"I'm home. Welcome back me."

I sighed as I entered and looked around.
There was a mirror on the wall, an object I would likely never use. This was the closest thing to a home I had known, but it feels like it's missing something.

I guess Kakashi sensei was right. I am lost. I plopped down on my bed and removed my mask but kept on my head wrap. I have a mission early in the morning and I may as well rest before it. I lay down and stared at the ceiling and listened to the combined sounds of mine and Hitsugi's breathing.

"Good night" I called out, silence answered. "Good night" I whispered with a cracked voice, my curse mark had begun to fade further and tears ran down my face. At least in my dreams I'm not alone, unless of course they're nightmares. No nightmare was worse than my reality.

Rock Lee's POV:

Sayuri didn't know I was watching from afar. Seeing her so lonely hurts me deeply, but I don't know what I can possibly do for her. I will talk to Guy Sensei tomorrow, surely he will know what to do. I should probably go, but I want to watch her sleep for just a little bit longer. It's the only time she seems to be the person I know she is deep down. My heart fluttered. Odd, that's never happened before. Perhaps it's from the extensive training I did today.