Chapter 7

Emily's POV

"But dad, Stanford riding academy is for the snobs, and people who disrespect their horses, I don't know why you're making me go there. Besides if I do go and get accepted, I'll only be riding there for two years." I explained to him. We pulled up to our driveway of a big house. It was our big house. Ben's parents gave us the money we raised up for the barn and they used their own money for the barn. Dad was a music teacher at the local elementary school, a riding instructor at a college here, and a private lesson music teacher. How he managed everything still doesn't add up to me.

"Emily, your mom went there, her mom went there, your going." He said. I banged my head on the head cushion of the seat in front of me. I opened the car door and went inside.

"There she goes." I heard Tony say.

"Emily! Emily!" I heard my dad shout. I ran up the stairs and into my room. I slammed the door. I looked around it. In one corner I have a piano and acoustic guitar. I have my bed near the instruments. I had a window seat, where I did my homework when school was still going on. I had my bulletin board and trophies case. I have a desk with my laptop on it. I walked over to my guitar and picked it up and sat on my bed. I start playing it.

(The italics means she's singing)

Sound the bugle now - play it just for me

As the season's change - remember how I used to be

Now I can't go on - I can't even start

I've got nothing left - just an empty heart

I'm a soldier - wounded so I must give up the fight

There's nothing for me - lead me away........

Or leave me lying here

"Emily, we need to talk." My dad said.

"It's open," I replied. He opened the door. "Listen I know your not a big fan of Stanford academy, but how bout we just look there and we'll decide about whether you going or not." He said. "Deal?"

"Deal," I replied.

"Is Stanford really for the snobs?" He asked. I laughed.

"Totally, she and Sarah talk about it all the time," Tony said in the doorway.

"At least I'm not afraid to talk to her, unlike someone I know," I said to him. He threw a ball at me. I ducked.

"What did I miss?" Dad asked.

"Don't you dare," Tony warned me.

"Whoever tells me what I missed gets $50 and doesn't have to do their chores for two weeks." He said.

"Tony likes Sarah. He liked her since you guys first came to Horseland." I said.

"Your dead meat," Tony said. He lunged for me, but I moved and ran down the stairs. I ran outside and heard barking.

"Hey Spike, protect me will you," I say to him. Spike is Mr. Williams German Shepard. Mr. Williams travels for his work, so I look after Spike for him. Spike listens to me. I ran behind him. He was in a crouching position. Tony ran out. He saw me. Spike started barking.

"Easy boy." He said. Spike started growling.

"I'll tell him off if you promise not to hurt me," I told him. He made a face.

"Fine, you have yourself a deal." He said. I smiled. We went back inside. I always win these things.