chapter 18: road to redemption

Phoenix (POV)

I woke up feeling excited. Today was Red's last day of being 15 and I was going to make it special. Ambrosia had already left to go shopping or whatever she does now. I had everything planned out though, now all I have to do is invite Red. Let's hope he's not busy.

I got out of bed, showered and dressed in under 20 minutes which would have been some sort of record, for me at least. When I went down to the dining hall mum and dad seemed to be having a small argument. Best to steer clear of it. I sat with Raph and Jason, and wait for breakfast to come.

"How are your mates?" I asked wanting to break the silence.

"Tyler is the best mate I could ever ask for we like similar things and we both want to take things slow, if you know what I mean," Raphael said smiling. I nodded knowing exactly what he meant.

"Well my mate is so feisty but I'm still annoyed though," Jason said.

"How come fruit loop that's unlike you," I said hoping it wasn't to serious.

"For starters why does he have to sleep on the same bed as Red and that new guy Jax," Jason said

"What?" I asked with a raised voice.

"Yep it started because they only had one bed and Alistair asked Red then he added Jax to the party because their bed is massive," Jason explained.

"Really is it bigger than mine?" I asked

"Nobody's bed is bigger than yours pancake nobody's," he said, laughing.

The breakfast was good but not as good as them pancakes. I still have no idea who made them. I felt in my pockets to find the keys keys to my car and went to it. Before I got in, dad caught up with me.

"Hey dad what's wrong?" I asked.

"You see son when I was younger I made mistakes and I want to tell you before your mother says anything," he said.

"Dad your scaring me it can't be that bad," I said.

"Son when I was younger I had the chance of a life time and I blew it," he said

"Dad are we doing this here and what are you talking about?" I asked, today I was full of questions.

"I'll say it quickly and let you get to wherever you were going," he replied.

"Ok dad but only a general overview," I said trying not to sound impatient. The only reason I got up this early was to make sure Red doesn't have plans.

"Me and your mother aren't mates, I was young and stupid, recently however I came across my mate she was being tortured by some people," he said. That was a bit shocking. "Somehow your mother managed to get me to believe that my real mate didn't want me."

I didn't know what to say. What could I say.

"I'm sorry dad don't worry though I believe you," I said trying to lighten the mood a bit.

"Son that doesn't mean I love you any less than I already do and your still a child and I don't blame you what so ever," he said "Now go see who ever you were going to see."

"How do you know?" I asked

"Firstly I'm your father and secondly Mafia remember," he said.

"Oh yeah," I said and got into the car as he waved me good bye. The journey from the pack house to school felt longer than it really was. As I pulled up to the front of the building I checked myself in the mirror to make sure I still looked good. I was pretty nervous. What if he already has plans for today? What if he straight up rejectes me?