Chapter 26

I slipped my leather boots on before tying my hair back. Nothing could distract me, not today. Today was the time to help Devon save his family from torture and pain.

“Is it dawn yet?” Wolfy barked.

            He had been agitated since the news of Maisie and Wendy’s kidnapping. He’d been whining in his sleep.

“Not yet. Another house,” Megan announced.

“But- but we don’t know what they’re doing to them, they could be tested on!” Ally complained.

            Ally had been more agitated than Wolfy, she’s been shifting forms and constantly pacing. I found her eyes had been wide and wild.

“Calm down Ally, we’ll get them,” Wolfie soothed.

“No, you don’t understand…”

            Ally was cut off when she released an ear-piercing scream which went straight through me.

“Don’t- listen to… me!” she choked out.

            I ran to her and caught her by her arms. Her body trembled uncontrollably. Devon rushed over and helped me to lay her on the basement floor.

“Ally!” I shook her shoulder harshly.

            Ally took a huge gasp and began coughing persistently. I slapped her back and gave her a cup of cola from the bottle. She cleared her throat.

“Ally,” Devon began, “Why shouldn’t we listen to you?”

“I-“Ally cut herself off and looked around panic-stricken, “You- you don’t understand! We must get them now!”

            She suddenly stood up and bolted out the door.

“Ally!” I cried, racing after her.

“Ally!” Wolfy called out, also racing up the basement stairs.

“Come on!” I heard Devon shout at Megan.

            When I got outside, I saw Ally’s wolf form sprinting into the woods. Devon growled in the back of his throat, his fur brushed against my leg. I shifted shape and turned to Megan. Her eyes were squeezed shut.

I shifted again and cried to Megan, “What the hell are you trying to do?”

“I’m trying to shift!”

I sighed, “Go after her!”

            Devon nodded before bolting. I turned to Megan and gripped her shoulders.

“Focus on the wolf. Imagine running through a forest, chasing deer, feel the sensation of being a part of a pack.”

“Okay,” she squeezed her eyes shut again.

“Okay, Megan?” she opened one eye, “Don’t tense up. Relax. Just, stay calm. Try to lower your-“

            I pointed to the area around my chest. Okay, I don’t pay attention in school. Megan nodded and shut her eyes; she relaxed her tense body and took deep breaths. Suddenly her body began to shimmer as the fur started to push its way through. Megan’s muddy brown wolf stood panting; her yellow eyes looked to me. She seemed to pause and look around. Barking, she ran in quick circles, yipping madly.

“Megan!” I hissed.

            She stopped and trotted up to me and lowered her ears and head in submission.

I shifted shape before hearing Megan cry, “This is amazing!”

“Quiet! We can’t be too loud. We need to find Ally, follow my scent.”

Megan cocked her head and looked at me.

“Inhale the fur on my tail and follow it,” I said, wagging it just below her muzzle.

            Megan inhaled and barked okay at me.

“Let’s go.”

            I ran in the direction of the trees. I heard Megan come up to next to me.

“And one more thing, if you feel your body tingle, go nuts. Chase your tail, just keep your heart-rate high.”

“Got it! Megan yipped.

            I poured on speed. Surprisingly, Megan could keep up and happily ran alongside me. I thought I’d finally met my match in speed. She was small, agile and lithe, designed for speed not power unlike Devon. Ally was fast but had more muscle mass. Ally also had a perfect human figure where Megan and I were thin. Devon was perfectly defined, the way his muscles rippled as his paws hit the ground. I smiled to myself, as Devon’s hind came into view. Cheeky!

“Oi, Ella!” I heard Devon’s wolf call, “As much as I thank you for the comment, it’s not the time!”

            I really should have seen that coming but I have to admit that I am guilty as charged.

“Wait, you can hear my thoughts?” I projected my thought toward Devon.

“Of course, we’re soul mates!” he called back.

What the hell as Devon had often said. That is major news to me. I shook the thought, declaring that I would mention it later, after the dramas over. Devon began to take the lead and I literally ran circles round the forest, checking the area for anything and all things suspicious. I didn’t find much so I joined back at Devon’s side. He didn’t acknowledge me, his eyes set on the scent. I could tell he was concentrating on the scent. I barged into him with my shoulder and knocked Devon out of his trance. He nipped my shoulder.

“How much further?” Megan barked, coming up beside me.

“I don’t know, Devon how much further?” I asked.

“I don’t know! Just follow the scent!” he howled.

            We burst through the forest and onto the road, our paws clicked against damp tarmac. An old man with a wine bottle looked at me and raised his bottle to me; his yellow wolf glowed beneath his hat, a lone wolf.

            I barked to Devon but he shrugged it off, clearly not bothered by him. Devon probably knows him anyway. We ran straight through, a red light and got honked at by angry car drivers. We ran through the moonlit streets, ignoring harsh scents and sounds of the city. In all honesty, I had not idea about what was going on, I just followed.

            Eventually, we arrived in the forest again and soon enough we arrived at a building which was secluded by trees. The forest was dense with life. We lurked in the trees, waiting to see something move but it didn’t. Ally gave me a knowing look and Devon nodded at me. I guess we’re going through with it anyway. We took a step out of the shadows and headed towards the building. My heart was beating fast in my ears; it downed my whole brain in noise. A feeling appeared in my gut and I suddenly became unsure about everything.