Chapter 23

"Ella Mae! Are you ready?" Wendy's voice flowed up the stairs and was caught by my sensitive wolf hearing.

            Ally had just finished applying powder to my cheeks, testing out her new make-up kit on me after watching documentaries on the laptop for hours on how to do the 'perfect date makeover'. She actually had picked up her new talent really well and the reflection in the mirror staring back at me had enhanced cheek bones and dark shadowed glittery eyes.

"She's almost done," Ally responded for me.

"Well hurry up!" Wendy shouted back even though we could hear the smile in her voice as she did.

"And we're done," Ally stepped back.

"What's this stuff again?"

"Make-up!"

"I'll get some on the harvest moon."

"Thanks."

            I nudged my head against Ally's before wobbling out of the bedroom door and down the hall. My feet were unsteady in the heeled shoes Wendy had let me borrow for tonight although I was already regretting that decision. I wished I was wearing the black comfy shoes I wore for school or the white and green striped I wore out of the house instead of these tight wobbly shoes. I growled low in my throat in frustration and stood out of these things. I headed downstairs with ease now that the shoes were gone and made my route to the front door and quickly slipped them back on. Just as I turned the corner, my eyes met Devon's. I slowly watched as his jaw lowered down. Was it that bad?

            Wendy's hand snaked behind him and she hit him over the head. He stumbled on his words for a while before his lips broke into a smile. His hand reached mine and he interlocked our fingers.

"Have fun," Wendy called after us.

            Devon's arm dragged me out of the door and towards the left. My shoes were already digging in, as much as I love the exercise, I'll end up ditching the shoes. Devon hauled his backpack higher onto his back and I found myself curious to what was in the bag. Silence hung heavily in the air. Devon started talking subconsciously to himself innocently. Well this is nice, very nice.

"So, how long until we get there?" I question, putting a bounce into my step.

"That's for me to know, and you to find out, later," he replied, a sly grin filling his face.

"But Devon," I whinged, placing my hands firmly on my hips.

"Come on Ella, we're nearly there," Devon informed me.

"Okay," I agreed irritably.

            I took a deep breath and let the air fill my lungs. The smell of pine and dirt filled my nose. We're at the border of the forest. He looked at me with a smile before shifting into his wolf. He nudged my leg and I shifted for myself. Devon trotted and I kept up with him for a while. He broke out into a run and I was quick to follow. We weren't running for long until we arrived at our destination. Devon shifted back so I copied him. My eyes lay onto the scene before me and my air supply was blocked, breath taking, literally.

            The sun was gradually seeping beneath the tops of the trees. The trees were vibrant against the scorching sun and they cast a dark shadow over us. Before me was a beautiful lake, the water rippled as birds landed on the water. A family of frogs rested on a couple of lillypads. It was peaceful and tranquil.

"Do you like it?" Devon questioned, scratching the back of his head nervously.

"It's beautiful," I commented.