Chapter 12

“Ally!” I exclaimed and embraced the small girl.

            She wraps her thin arms around me and hugs me tight. She makes wolfish noises into my neck and I respond in our simpler tongue.

            The wolf language consists of over a hundred variations of growls, whines and barks; however, we use our body language more. Wolfie wags his tail at me then goes down into a position where he’s ready to pounce. I haul the heavy school bag on my shoulders to slide to the ground before mimicking his position. We play around on the hard wood floor. Ally’s quick to join in our game of rough and tumble.

“Glad to see you’re at ease,” Wendy remarks as she comes from the car laden with plastic bags of food.

            She laughs at us all rolling around on the floor before going to the kitchen to unpack.

“Mum, you forgot your, honestly,” Devon stops still when he sees me, Ally and Wolfie rolling around on the floor, biting and grabbing- It takes all my strength from going wolf completely.

            Devon dumps his mothers handbag on the floor then goes upstairs, shaking his head along the way.

            We’re all breathless by thee time we finish rolling around on the floor. Ally’s flat on her back and Wolfie is panting up a storm. I’m grinning like an idiot, trying not to laugh again. Wolfie wags his tail in my face as a response.

“Are you guy’s hungry after your little reunion?” Wendy asked.

“Can I help?” Maisie asks so she comes in the backdoor covered in mud from spending the day gardening.

“After you’ve had a bath young lady.”

            Maisie frowns then smiles brightly at us and runs upstairs, shouting Devon’s name the whole way up.

“What do you girls want?”

“For what?” Ally inquired.

“Food!” Wendy announced loudly.

            She chuckled as we grin, mischief clouding our eyes as well as Wolfie’s eyes.

“Rabbit?” Ally suggested.

            I nod in agreement; I haven’t had a good size rabbit in weeks.

“Erm, how about chicken and chips instead? Wendy suggested.

“Does it include meat?”

            Wendy laughed whilst nodding.

“I’ll take two!” Ally exclaimed.

            Wendy laughs again and we join in. After dinner, Ally and I head upstairs to our room. I announce I need the toilet and leave Ally to mull over a book. She can’t read or write either, although she’s a quick learner.

            I push the bathroom door open then I realise its stuck. I push it again harder but it still wouldn’t budge. I growl and give it a final push. Suddenly, the door bursts open and something metal pops. A gush of steam hits me in the face. I walk in and fiddle with the buckle on my trousers which were now covered in a fine layer of Wolfie’s hair.

“Hey! What the hell do you think you’re doing! Get out!” Devon shrieks on the verge of hysteria.

“Why?”

“Because I’m in the shower! Didn’t you see the lock?”

“What…”

“Get out!”

“Sorry,” I mutter and leave the steamy room.

* * *

The next morning, I walked into the kitchen, blinking at the bright, early morning light. I barely notice them, but hushed voices travel into my sensitive wolf ears. Quickly, I tip-toe to the back door and gently place my ear against it.

“She can’t stay here! People at school are starting to notice! We’ll get reported then executed or sent to some lab and never see the sun again! And what do we say when dad comes home?” Devon hissed at his mother.

           A muffled sob left Wendy’s lips.

“Your father… he, he isn’t coming home,” she managed to choke out.

“What do you mean?” Devon asked after a few minutes, his tone is weary after Wendy’s announcement.

            I suck in a breath.

“He, he left be-because…”

“Why?!” Devon hissed again, almost shouting but keeping it to no more then a hushed voice.

“He has a girlfriend and is pregnant with his son. He left because he knows what I am. What we all are but he’s too scared to report us. He loves you and Maisie too much. He loves you Devon but he isn’t coming back.”

            That’s when Wendy breaks down, leaving Devon to just stare at her. He stays silent, but begins to storm towards the door. He slams it wide open, catching me eavesdropping.

            His grey eyes met mine- they’re full of shock, pain, anger, shame. For a moment, yellow begins to take over and his wolf is barely under control. I would move to embrace him to tell him it’s okay but his eyes have mine and when our eyes break apart, he shoves me roughly aside.

            I just stand there, numb and watch him erupt into a wolf and leave.

____________________________________________________________

Hope you enjoy! If I get a comment than I'll update on Monday! 

Read

Vote

Comment

Fan

Thanks

Niamoi