Chapter 21

Monday morning was hell. It started out average enough: breakfast, shower, get dressed, collect bag and walk with Devon. That particular Monday was also Ally’s first day so it obviously more interesting. Ally was extremely excited on her first day: she was the first up, first ready and first out of the door. Why I don’t know. The only other time she had been this excited is for her first hunt.

“Howl 1! Howl 1!” Ally exclaimed happily to her.

            She was nudging her ribs continuously, forcing her to stand up. She huffed as she stood up; she hated being woken up during a good deep sleep.

“What is it?”

“I did it! I did it! Come see! Come see!”

Ally playfully tugged on her pink human ear. They had just been given their places in the pack and could now wonder away from the den.

“What did you do?” She asked as they bounded through the undergrowth.

“I killed it!”

“Killed what?”

Ally suddenly stopped and pointed with her nose to something lying amongst the grass.

“The mouse!” she excitedly spun in a circle, “It’s my first kill!”

As I walked down the schools corridor, I smiled a little and shook my head as I remembered Ally’s proudest moment. To her, killing that mouse was her biggest achievement even though she’s hunted loads of huge bucks and even caught a duck mid air by leaping from a tree. That mouse changed her.

            The schools corridors smelt of cheap disinfectant and sweat with old food. The off lone teen sat staring out the windows before the crowd poured in. I joined them by leaning against a supporting pillow and watched time go by. I droned out until a familiar scent caught my nose. Turning around, I saw Megan walking up to me with a joyous smile plastered her face.

“Hey wolf girl. How’s the scent?” she asked still smiling.

            I stared at her wide-eyed before looking inconspicuously at the camera above us.

“Oh don’t worry about those; they don’t work. They’re just there to scare them. There isn’t even a surveillance room.”

“A what-“

“Doesn’t matter,” she cut in, “What do you think of school?”

“It’s great. I-“

“You won’t be saying that for much longer, trust me. Meet me behind the sports hall after school and bring Devon. I’ll explain everything,” Megan walked away confidently.

            She left me with my mouth open but no words came out. The only problem is I didn’t know what behind meant.

***

All day I thought about Megan’s demands, Devon is going to kill me. I strode towards our usual meeting point after school. Megan’s demands worried me a lot. I mean, what if shes in disguise and has been sent to ambush us and take us to those labs that Wendy and Devon are so scared of being taken to. My head felt like it was being pounded by a heard of deer, what should I do? Should I tell Devon? Should I just ignore Megan and carry on as normal? Should I-

“Hey, have fun?

            Devon.

“Erm yeah, great!”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah fine, why?”

“Because I can sense you’re anxious about something. Was it the tripod or Amy or-“

“Nothing.”

“Don’t snap at me!”

            Devon suddenly bared his teeth at me in a silent warning. I flinched then bent my neck to show submission. He bowed his head shamefully and leant forward to whisper sorry in my ear. I turned to face him, searching his eyes for an explanation but he just turned away.

“So what’s eating you?” Devon asked after calming down a bit although I could still sense his anger at…himself?

“Eating me? I’m the predator. I eat, nothing eats me,” I looked at him and he laughed.

“I meant anxious.”

“Oh, erm…” I avoided eye contact with Devon as I muttered, “Megan told me to meet her behind the sweaty building.”

“And?” he asked, raising an eyebrow, “What’s wrong with that?”

“I think...”

“Hey! Ella! Devon!” Megan called as she jogged towards us, “Why didn’t you meet me?”

            Her dark eyebrows furrowed together as her dark eyes searched us. She was pretty, dark hair, dark eyes but with fair skin and freckled but somehow it worked on her.

“Wendy was going to pick-“

“Are you guys walking? Great! I have loads to talk to you about. Want to grab a coffee? I’m dying for some caffeine,” she announced as she gleefully walked away, “Come on!”

            Devon turned to me and shrugged and I grinned. As much as I didn’t want to, I found myself liking Megan. Despite what she wanted from us, she was still…likeable. The walked to the coffee shop was very interesting. I was expecting to be interrogated about my werewolf self but instead it was just a laughable walk. Ally was walking with another group of a few popular girls and a lot of males. She seemed to be attracting a lot of human boy attention. She said she wanted to go home to see Wolfie so she didn’t stay to long, disappointing her male admirers.

            Anyway, Megan seemed more interested in about telling us about herself more than learning about us. Turns out her dads some werewolf-officer-commander person whom she hates for it, and she hates living with him and his tart of a girlfriend. The two girls she was with were her cousins, Jenifer and Leah who beat people up for fun; she only follows them around because it stops her becoming a target like her other nerdy cousin Alex and because hates being near her dad and his girlfriend. After pouring out her life story, I actually felt a little sorry for her; especially after hearing her mum died in a house fire. Somehow, it made her more likable.

            She was halfway through a childhood story when her phone rang. We watched as she held a finger up, indicating she wanted a minute and left for privacy. Devon gave me a curious look and I took a long gulp of the mocha which was steaming in front of me. 

“Ella?” Devon questioned.

            I looked up and he shot me a smile. He opened his mouth to speak but then closed it when Megan came back.

“Going to have to go, dads got a meeting, a new plan to exterminate the ‘vermin’, I wonder what it is this time,” she let out a sigh, “Wish me luck.”

“Bye,” Devon and I chorused together.

            She bid farewell with a flutter of her fingers before exciting through the door.

“So Ella, I have something to ask,” Devon started.

            I raised an eyebrow at him.