32

Carl

~~~

( Carl POV )

~~

When I opened my eyes it was sudden,I could feel sweat covering my entire body as I stared up at the ceiling,but as I heard something to my right I turned my head and realized it was my dad,he was sitting next to the bed and his head had been resting against his hand.His eyes were also closed,he must be really tired.I was gonna leave him alone but he opened his eyes to check on me before I could pretend I was still asleep."Hey dad."

"Hey,"he whispered with a smile adorning his face after having yawned at rubbed at his tired eyes. I smiled at and now I felt comfort for the fact that he was here and being awake now I knew he was here.He took my silence as the right time to speak as he sat up straight and looked at me,"Carl,I told you something,earlier today about,Sophia-"

"I know,"he stopped,"Mom told me."

He sighed probably thinking I was angry that he had lied to me before,"Here I was getting ready to confess,"I moved my head a bit more on the pillow to look at him comfortably."I didn't mean to lie I just,didn't want to worry you.It's a stupid excuse but its all I got."

"It's ok,"I tried to send him a smile that proved everything was fine but seeing his eyes full of regret i don't think it worked out. "Do you think we'll find her?"

"I know we will,"he said this but looked down,"No,I dont...know." I looked away from him for a little bit,"but I truly believe it."

Hearing this I had no doubt in my mind that I believed him,when he finished talking her rubbed at his eyes again,he must have been watching me for without sleep for a while,I made eye contact with him to make sure I had his attention."You look tired."

He gave me a smile with a small laugh following it,"I am tired."

I looked back up at the ceiling as he said this,that when the thought occurred to me of what I had in common with my dad now,"Hey,"I maneuvered my head to look at him again,"I'm like you now,we've both been shot." He looked down and that's when I noticed his sheriffs hat resting in his hands."Isn't that weird?" I continued.

He looked up at me with his tired eyes and sent me another smile,"Ya,I think your mother would rather hear we got them same eyes,"I laughed when he said this but only a bit as it hurt too much to move my stomach,"Let's keep this between us alright?"

I nodded at him with a smile,mom would go nuts if I had said that to her instead of dad.

"Now that you're in the club,"my dad pointed with his eyes at the hat that was being held,"you get to wear the hat now."My mouth opened a little,I can wear his hat! "Didn't you know?"

I smiled wide as he raised his hand holding the hat and leaned forward to put it on my head,I struggled to lift myself up enough to have the hat land on my head but it was worth it.Though once he placed it on it fell forward and covered my sight,my dad laughed as I struggled to balance it atop my head."We'll pad the rim tomorrow so that it sits better."

With one hand I held it up so that it wouldn't block my view,I'm happy I have it now but,"Won't you miss it?"

He looked at the window seeing how dark it was out now then turned to face me again,"Maybe you can let me borrow it from time to time,"I nodded at him.

"We can share it."

He nodded then leaned forward again,"Okay,sleep now,"he grabbed at the covers and pulled them up to my chin.With his hat still resting on my head I said,"I love you dad."