Broken

Edward's POV 

I walk into my parents house, this time it wasn't a planned visit. My mother is in the backyard, gardening. She smiles at me sweetly.

"To what do I owe the pleasure son?" She says while she sifts through some herbs. I kneel beside her and help her. 

"What do you know about Bella?" I say, having little patience to beat around the bush.

My mother tenses. "She's a sweet girl, barely younger than you. She loves reading. She's really a dear."

"Mom," I say as I shake my head. "What about her past?"

"She spent most of her childhood with her mom in Arizona" that fact brings me up short. You'd think someone from one of the sunniest states would be tanner than Bella complexion. She was paler than a sheet of paper. "Then her dad had the heart attack and she back to Forks to care for him."

"What about her friend Jacob... He seems like a real guard dog" Mom makes a face when I say his name.

"He's been her friend since early childhood, as far as I know." My mom adjusts the basket she's now holding. She's not telling me everything. She refuses to meet my eyes.

"How'd she break her arm?" My questions becoming more direct. My mother gathers herself.

"Why so interested in her all of a sudden?" My mother deflects. She gathers some herbs and begins heading to the house.

"Someone tried to break into Chief Swan's house." I say to my mother's back. My mother stops in her tracks, nearly stumbling over her feet. 

She whips around. "My goodness. Is Bella okay. Was she hurt? Was it that vile..." Mom catches herself before she says anything. 

"Mom. Who?"  I ask, taking the basket from her. She opens the back door and I can tell something is bother her immensely. 

 "It isn't my place honey..." She shakes her head. Whoever tried to break into her house, must have been someone that everyone in town knew about. Bella hadn't went to school in forks, or else I would have known about her.

I drop my questions. I knew someone who could give me more information. I didn't see a need in stressing my poor mother out.