Shaken

Edward's POV 

Bella is trembling when I pull her out of her father's closet. She has her arms wrapped and her torso, her fingers digging into her knitted sweater. She took deep breaths, trying to calm herself.  She didn't appear to need help, but Chief Swan said it was a potential home invasion.

I just don't understand who would be dumb enough to attempt to break into Chief Swan's house. They must have some sort of vendetta or death wish, whatever the case may be. I hear the siren that has to belong to Chief Swan. He was almost  here. 

Hearing the siren, Bella removes her hands from her sweater and take a shaky breath. She twirls her hair around her finger, she seemed to have to become stronger for her dad's sake. Almost, like she knew her father better than she knew herself. 

Her eyes were glassy, but held a fierce determination. I hear Chief Swan swing the door open and rush into the house. "Bella!" His voice panicky. 

"I'm upstairs" she says, raising her voice just high enough for him to hear. Bella was shaking like a leaf on windy autumn day. I was afraid if she spoke any louder that the sound of her own voice would break her small frame. Chief lumbers up the stairs and pulls Bella close to him.

She repeats only a few words. "I am okay" or "I am fine". She sounds more like a robot now. Mechanical, trying more so to convince her father than herself. There is more to the story for sure. Bella didn't look like the type to be shaken so easily. 

I wrap up and head to the station to do paperwork. I knew Chief would give me the information I needed for it later.