Chapter 50

Max

Max

For the past few days since Jackie came home, I have been keeping my distance from everyone. I know everyone is worried about me but I just need time to think for myself. As the captain, I still go to practice. But I have stopped going to the SGA meetings. I have not once made any contact with Jace since we saved Jackie. The guys understand and respect me for not wanting to be around them or Jace. Alexander has been doing his best to stay out of my way. Everyone at school has been talking about  Alexander killing his mother. No one wants to talk about Jackie's kidnapping or the fact that his mother is a crazy ass, jealous bitch. 

Lately, I have been eating lunch outside on the baseball field. I sit in the bleachers and just think to myself or sometimes practice hitting the ball.

The bell rung from lunch to be over and I was walking back on campus when I heard someone yelling behind the corner near the gym. 

"You murder!"

"You crazy bastard!"

"How can you still come to school?"

"He must really be a  psychopath!"  walk closer and hear the sound of punching and kicking. I turn the corner to see Alexander on the ground with a bloody face.

"What are you doing?" I asked causing the three boys who are beating on Alexander to stop.

"Oh hey, Max." One of the boys said. "Were are just taking care of this psycho."

"Yeah, a murder like him doesn't belong in this school." The second guy says. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. 

"It's already been reported that it was self-defense," I say.

One of the guys laugh "Come on man you don't believe that fake news. How can killing your own mother be self-defense?" I open my eyes and look behind the guys to see Alexander on the floor wiping off the blood from his forehead. 

"Leave him alone. And if I catch you guys doing this again I'll personal would take care of you guys." I said gear at each of them. They all look at me uncomfortably and slowly leave. I look down at Alexander as he tries to get up. Once he is up on his feet I turn around and leave without saying a word. After school, I stay for baseball practice. After practice I still a little longer.

I was practice hitting the ball when "Oh, strike one." I turn around to see Gabriella behind me. She smiles and waves other at on the bench. I smile and make my way over to her. I haven't seen her since Christmas and I feel bad. I have been caught up in all my drama I forgot to ask her how were things with Micky. Micky hasn't told me things since then but he doesn't seem he's angry anymore since he came to Jackie's welcome home party and helped find her. 

"Sorry I haven't called you." I say when I take a seat next to her. I look at her chest to see her wearing the necklace I gave her. I smile. 

"It's okay. I understand." She says.