Chapter 28

Kevin

Coming home I smelled something in the kitchen. With a smile, I made my way towards the kitchen. 

"Shit!" I heard someone yell. Running into the kitchen I am in ---

"Jackie what happen" I said looking around to realize Jackie itsn't in the kitchen and it's Max.

"Max?" I said confused walking towards him. I look over his shoulder to realize he is cooking something.

"Oh hey, dad." He said. I look at the stove to notice he is making pasta.

"Hey son, Um....what are you doing?" I ask still confused. 

"Is Jackie sick?" I said suddenly realizing. I was about to run out of the kitchen when Max stops me.

"Chill dad. She's not even home." He says. I stop my tracks and turn around.

"She's not here?" I asked. 

"Yeah, when I got home no one was here. I figured she went grocery shopping." He says as he stirs the sauce in the pan.

"So why are you cooking?" I asked still confused.

"Because Gabriela is going to be here any minute. And I won't have time to wait for Jackie to come home and make dinner. Hey dad, could you do me a favor and set the table for me, please. I already have the plates out." Max says as he adds shrimp to the pan. 

"Who's Gabriela?" I asked.

"A friend from school. I invited her over to meet Jackie. I wish I told Jackie in advance then she'll be here right now--Look dad I don't have much time please." He says begging to leave and set the table. 

"Alright" I say putting my hands up in surrender. I talk out of the kitchen to go set the table. I don't know who Gabriela is but I am surprised to see Max go all out for her. When he said she invited her to meet Jackie it's as if he's invited a girlfriend over to meet his mom. I smiled at the thought. 

After I set the table I went upstairs to take a shower and get out of my work clothes. Once I got done getting dressed I called Jackie, but it went straight to voicemail. Feeling that it was odd that she isn't home since it's close to dinner time I sent her a text to let her known of Max's plans. A few hours later I heard the doorbell ring.

"I'll get it!" Max yelled from down stairs. I leave my room and went downstairs. I hear Alexander coming down the stairs with me. Once I make it to the living room I see Max hugging a girl. Max turns around and smiles.

"Dad this is Gabriela. She's a friend from school." He says. The way Max is smiling I would think he was going to tell there getting married. I take a moment to look at Max and realize his hair is combed back. He is wearing a striped black and white shirt with a black cardigan and jeans. My boy cleans up nice.