• 40 •

Annabeth's POV

"You are going to be amazing." Percy looked me straight in the eyes, his hands on my waist. It was the night of my dance recital, Friday December 20. We were back stage, Percy giving me a pep talk before I went on to perform.

I was freaking out.

But somehow, Percy's hands on my waist, his words, his eyes—it all calmed my nerves. Percy was just what I needed. His eyes were filled with pride and reassurance.

"Just look at me. The whole group is here to support you." He pointed to the crowd. Leo, Calypso, Piper, Jason, Frank, Hazel, Reyna, Nico, and Will (who was now part of the friend group for we've come to know him quite well. Also I was suspicious of the two. They were always together, and though they bickered like a married couple, they enjoyed each other's company. I had a sense that there was more than a friendship here.) all waved to me. My dad sat in the row behind them. He looked at me and gave a smile and a thumbs up. Diana had given my friends and dad front row seats, because it was my last year dancing for her, but I planned on coming back here for a starter job.

I waved back at all of them. I looked back to Percy. I placed my hands on his neck. "Alright. Thank you Seaweed Brain. You should go take your seat." I kissed him, not short, but not long.

"Alright. Good luck Wise Girl." He said before walking off.

"Alright Annabeth. You're up." Diana whispered to me. I held my chin up and kept my posture perfect. I rose up onto my tiptoes, and held my arms out in front of me, keeping graceful fingers. The music played and I heard my cue. I tiptoed onto stage. After the first twelve counts, the rest of the girls came on. This made me feel better, for I wasn't alone now and I wasn't the center of attention. However, I still felt everyone's gaze on me as I danced with the other girls.

I got nervous at this and looked to the crowd. I locked eyes with Percy and my heart beat slowed a bit. I kept dancing gracefully, aware  of all the supporters here for me sitting right in the front row. I was now lost in the music, my body on autopilot, dancing without thought, like it had down this a million times; partly because it had.

The climax of the music was coming up and the other girls parted in the middle, leaving an opening for me. The climax hit and I leaped high into the air. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. My movements were graceful and quiet. When my foot reconnected with the floor, there was a soft thud that was inaudible due to the music. I spun after my leap and everyone clapped. The rest of the girls began dancing again.

Soon the song's end was creeping up, and all the girls took their positions. They all bent outward like flower petals, leaving a space in the middle. Diana put me in that space. I was center stage. Center of attention. I was honored to be given this privilege. This position of authority.

I was grateful that the other girls weren't jealous; I had never heard any of them complain that I was in the middle, that I was at center stage.

Everyone clapped. The whole front row—all my friends—stood up, clapping louder than anyone else. I smiled at them. Percy locked eyes with me and I saw pride and astonishment in his gorgeous sea green irises. I smiled gratefully at him.

"Yeah Annie!" Leo yelled. He was whooping and whistling more than anyone. I laughed. My dad whistled and I smiled at him. He looked proud of his little pumpkin—who wasn't so little anymore. The curtains closed but the clapping didn't subside until a few minutes after.

***

The rest of the dances were performed beautifully. When we were finally finished, all the dancers walked out on stage to bow. We held our hands up and bent down. I stood in the back due to my height and being the oldest.

"Thank you everyone." Diana calmed the applause down. "Though all of these girls performed absolutely beautifully, I would like to acknowledge one dancer in particular. She has been with me since she was in preschool. She has worked her way up to be the best dancer at my studio. I've watched her grow as not just a dancer, but a person. I am extremely proud of the wonderful young woman and dancer she has become." Everyone looked at me. I stood there, dumbfounded. "Please give it up, for Annabeth Chase!" Diana announced. Everyone clapped and cheered and hollered and whistled—all for me.

I didn't deserve all of this credit. I wasn't worthy of the title of best dancer. Without Diana, her support, pushing me to do my best, I wouldn't be here.

Diana beckoned me forward. I stepped to the front of the stage, the other girls parting for me. Diana met me with a tight hug and a beautiful bouquet of flowers. "I'm very proud of you Annabeth." She said, tears in her eyes.

I began to tear up too. "Thank you, Diana." I gave her a grateful smile. The cheering died down and I was handed the microphone. "Oh wow. This, this is an honor. I've come so far, and worked so hard, but none of this would be able to happen without Ms. Diana. Her support and encouragement and care have pushed me to be something greater than I never thought possible to achieve. Thank you, Diana. You have been by my side, not as just my dance teacher, but a mother figure, someone caring, kind and compassionate. You believe in every single one of these girls." I looked around. "And I do too. All of you can achieve amazing things. Never lose sight of your goals, what you hope to accomplish. Because with the right mindset and support," I looked back to Diana. She was smiling at me, a tear running down her cheek. "You will reach your goals." All of the girls engulfed me in a group hug. I tried my best to hug them all back. "I love you guys. And you have no idea how much it pains me to say goodbye to this amazing group of girls, but I will be back. I promise. And I hope to watch your progress and watch you grow as dancers. I love all of you guys. Thank you so much for this amazing opportunity, Diana. Without you, none of this would be happening." I ran to the side of the stage and came back with a bouquet of roses. "Thank you." I handed her the roses. Everyone cheered for her, including myself.

She took the flowers gratefully. "Your mother would be proud Annabeth." She said. At this, I could no longer keep the tears in my eyes. They ran down my cheeks and off of my chin. You have no idea how much that means to me. Those five words alone make me feel elated. They meant more to me than anything, and Diana knew that.

"Thank you." I said, trying to keep the tears at bay. I turned to the audience. "Thank you, all of you too. Your support has meant more to me than you could know." I looked to all my friends.

"We love you Annie!" Leo yelled. Everyone laughed, including myself.

"Oh, get up here!" Diana beckoned then into the stage. They all cane running up the steps along the side of the stage. All the girls around me parted to make room for them. All my friends hugged me, Percy, Reyna, and Piper all being the closest to me.

"I love you guys." I said.

"We love you too." Reyna said. Everyone backed up.

"Especially me." Percy said. He cupped my face and wipes away my tears. I had thankfully stopped crying. He pulled me in and kissed me, long and romantic. I heard a collective ooooh from all the other dancers. There were a couple aaaww's from some of the audience members. I smiled against Percy's lips. We pulled away. I looked to my dad and he was smiling. I waved him up to the stage. He obliged.

He ran up to me and hugged me, all my friends parting for him. "I'm proud of you pumpkin." He said into my hair. "I love you."

"I love you too dad."

And everyone cheered. And everything was wonderful. I had all my friends. My dad. My dance teacher. All supporting me. And though I was sad to leave the studio as a student,

I couldn't wait to come back and teach the girls myself.

Author's note

I was inspired to right this because my dance recital is next Friday, May 11. And I. Am. Freaking. The. Frick. Out.

One of our dances isn't even finished snd I'm going to mess up a step and everyone will hate me and suddenly the building will go up I'm flames and— okay I'll stop being dramatic. But wish me luck. Don't forget to vote and comment. Love you guys
-bella💕