~ chapter 26 ~

"Where's Lydia?" Malia asked us very nervous, rubbing her hand on her shoulder.

"She took it her freshman year," I responded as I looked at her.

She was reeking of anxiety and so did I. Even if I was a Sophomore, they let me take it, because I had the biggest GPA in all the Sophomore classes, plus I didn't wanna take it last year.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asked me and the others.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us," Scott replied, trying to give her some confidence.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good," Malia said very stressed.

"Well." Stiles corrected her.

"Well, what?" Malia asked Stiles.

"It's doing well, not good," I added as I started to feel a little insecure about me taking the PSATs that year.

Scott looked at me and put his arm on my shoulder, trying to calm me down and it worked. Then I looked in his eyes and I smiled. He smiled back and we turned back at the others.

"Oh, God! " Kira whispered when she saw me and Scott.

"Okay, okay. You're doing this because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott told us, trying to give us confidence, but he was as scared as we were.

"It's only for three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira said as she smiled nervously and so did I.

~

"Cell phone in the envelope, Scott." Ms. Martin told Scott as we were getting in the PSATs examination room. "You'll get it back after the test," she added and then I was next.

I put my phone on the envelope and took the paper with the number of the envelope where my phone was.

I sat down behind Scott and put the booklet on the desk. I took my leather jacket and put my hair into a ponytail. I knew that there were gonna be some long three hours.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so." the teacher that I had never seen before that day in our school told us. "This test is two hours and 10 minutes. There will be two 25-minute critical reading sections, two 25-minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes," he explained to us then turned to Mrs. Martin. "There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam," he told her.

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." Ms. Martin said and then left the room.

Scott turned his head and looked at me and my worried face.

"Everything is gonna be okay!" he whispered to me and I faked a smile.

"I'm worried about what's in the woods," I whispered to him. "Derek told me that Braeden was there and I'm worried sick for here. She was my sister's best friend. I won't let her die, 'cause if she dies, the only person that connected with me and my sister would be gone." I explained to him and he put his hand on mine.

I nodded, understanding that he wanted me to calm down a little and so I did.

Ms. Martin came back and looked at the supervisor.

"I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?" Ms. Martin told the supervisor.

"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break." the supervisor told Ms. Martin and then turned the timer on. "You may now open your test booklets and begin," he told us.

I opened my booklet and realized that this would be easy, very easy. The questions were grid questions and were easy for my GPA. Lydia told me that I could do it very easily, 'cause I was very smart for my age, and coming from her, it was true.

"Sydney! Are you all right?" Ms. Martin asked Sydney who fell on the floor.

"I'm okay. I just got kind of dizzy." the girl replied.

"Sydney, how long have you had this?" Lydia's mother asked Sydney as she saw her irritation on her arm.

"I don't know," Sydney replied surprised as she saw her irritation.

"Ms. Martin, do I need to stop the test?" the supervisor asked Ms. Martin

"No, um, it's fine. Everybody stay in your seats. I'll, um, be back in a minute. Nobody leaves the room." Ms. Martin told us.

"Get back! No! Do not come in here! Get back outside! Back to your seats." the supervisor told us.

"Now. Please. I need the number of the CDC." Ms. Martin said.