~ chapter 17 ~

The rain was pounding against my skin in a knife-like fashion by the time we pulled into the clinic's parking lot and Scott carried Derek inside.

"Wow!" I heard Deaton whisper as we placed the teenage Derek on the metal table before stepping back slightly to give him room.

I moved further back than the others did, and wrapped my arms tightly around myself before listening to what was being said. Hopefully, Deaton knew exactly what happened to him and how to fix it.

"'Wow!' as in 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do? That kind of wow?', 'cause that's the 'Wow!' we are looking for." Stiles rambled as I rolled my eyes but agreed with what he was saying.

If Deaton didn't know what was happening then no one would know. It's pretty hard to fix things when nothing makes any sense. As Stiles continued to ramble on and on about what the "Wow!" meant, I stepped forward and placed a hand on his arm to get his attention. 

"Wow, your hands are freezing Kylie." he gasped as I pulled back and nodded.

I can never be out in the rain for long or I will get really cold and end up having to lie in bed for a day. I didn't say anything about it though, only motioned for Stiles to listen to what Deaton had to say as Scott pulled me over to him and held onto my hands.

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities," Deaton informed Stiles as I sighed and moved closer to Scott so that I'd be warmer.

What Deaton had said was exactly what I didn't want to hear, I wanted to hear that Derek would be perfectly fine. Closing my eyes, I leaned into Scott's chest and just listened to what everyone around me was saying about Derek.

Stiles was still rambling, Scott and Lydia just stayed silent until Lydia finally said something after picking up Derek's hand and gasping. There is no possible way that what she is about to say will be good. Scott told me that she is good a predicting death and she might have just done that with Derek.

"He's cold," she whispered as I walked away from Scott to stand at her side.

Picking up Derek's hand, I gasped at the cold feeling of his skin. This couldn't be safe for him, I have never felt skin this cold, not even when I have helped my father out at the hospital.

"Like really cold," Lydia added as Deaton picked up his other hand and sat it back down quickly while picking something up.

He was whispering to himself before Scott said something that I didn't quite hear though I knew it had something to do with the teen laying on the cold metal. Deaton replied to Scott saying something about no medical diagnosis before moving forward to shine a light in Derek's eyes, hoping for any type of response. He received one too as Derek groaned but didn't open his eyes or say anything.

"This is way beyond my experience." Deaton sighed as he sat the flashlight back down before giving us all a defeated look.

I don't blame him though.

A twenty-four-year-old just showed up as a seventeen-year-old. If that doesn't make you uncomfortable or confused then you are just insane. Nothing about this situation is the least bit normal and if it had happened before then I would have considered moving far away from Beacon Hills.

"So what do we do?" I asked as I sat down at the end of the metal table where Derek's feet were.

Scott sent me an unamused look before turning back to Deaton who shrugged while looking down at Derek. I doubt he was going to say that there was something we could do. This situation was pretty much hopeless now that I really think about it.

"Until he wakes up, not much. It's best if he just waits here, he'll be safe." Deaton decided as Stiles looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

I swear this boy always has something to say or a question to ask. I don't know why he would question Deaton though... I mean... I think we all know who the professional is in this situation. In case you don't, it's definitely not Stiles Stilinski who is almost failing anatomy.

"From Kate?" Stiles asked.

Yes, of course from Kate. Who else would we be protecting him from, Stiles? I mean, it's definitely not a boys band so I think we all know it is Kate.

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she do this to him?" Lydia's question was a good one.

I wanted to know the answer too, and I don't think the one I receive with be good enough. None of us know the exact reason why Kate would want to do this to him, but I think we all have a pretty good idea.

"Knowing her, it will be for her own personal gain," Deaton answered and I nodded in agreement.

See, it was the obvious answer. I don't think Kate Argent would do anything if it didn't benefit her. I mean, she could see a stray kitten and wouldn't save it unless it helped her kill a werewolf, or Derek most specifically. 

"And it will be bad for everyone else." Stiles nodded in realization as I rolled my eyes and got off the table to hug Scott sleepily.

I really just want to go home and sleep or go back to Scott's house and sleep. Either way, I won't complain because I will get to sleep and nothing will be better than that. 

"You all should head home," Deaton sighed as he looked down at Derek again and Scott opened his mouth to protest.

He was cut off though when Deaton continued to speak, trying to urge everyone back to their homes. I have no doubt that he was hoping to be able to go to sleep without being disturbed by four teenagers.

"There doesn't look to be any danger so maybe the rest of you should get some sleep. It's a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with him," Scott commanded and we all nodded.

Lydia seemed to be the one who made the decision though.

"Kylie and I can stay, our grades are fine. We barely miss any classes."

That was the truth. I have missed only three classes and I am almost top of the class even though I am a year ahead of what I should be.

"I'm so not okay with this." Stiles sighed as Lydia rolled her eyes before giving him a stern look.

"Stiles, go home." We spoke in sync as we glared at the hyperactive teenager.

He merely rolled his eyes before shrugging and walking away, only to be stopped when Scott opened his mouth to say something. 

"No, he's right. I'm not okay with this either."

Of course, he isn't. I raised my eyebrows as I walked over and pulled Scott away from everyone else before wrapping my arms around his neck and making a puppy dog face.

"Scott... He's my cousin. He's a part of my family. I have to stay, okay?" I told him and he nodded. "I'll call you when something happens and text you too, just get some rest, Scott. For me?" I asked quietly as Scott closed his eyes and nodded. "I'll keep you updated." I smiled as I pressed my lips to his cheek before moving to step away from him.

He stopped me though as he placed a hand on my back and leaned down to press his lip against mine.

"Stay safe."