~ chapter 16 ~ {Scott's POV}

"Why didn't you kiss Kylie?" Braeden questioned me as the two of us quietly walked into the crumbling building.

I honestly don't know why I didn't kiss Kylie. Bricks and rubble lay in the pathway as I thought about why I didn't kiss her. Maybe it was because it seemed like everyone was watching us and it made me feel uncomfortable. Or maybe it would have made her feel uncomfortable. It's not like I didn't want to kiss her because I did. I still do.

"I mean, she is your girlfriend." I held my hand out to stop Braeden from stepping on a stone that seemed to be crumbling and shook my head slightly.

"No, Kylie isn't my girlfriend. Not yet anyway.=," I told her.

Silence rang out around us and Braeden came to a stop in front of a wall and motioned for me to walk around her with the flashlight. The darkness made everything look eerie as the walls seemed to whisper around the two of us.

"I didn't... I mean... She's, no..." I blushed as I shined my flashlight in all the corners.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say or do. The point in doing this is to find Derek. Not discuss my relationship with Kylie. A shadow formed across the path as Braeden gave me a look before rolling her eyes.

"We don't date." I finally managed to say as I shined the flashlight over to where the shadow began.

Nothing, apparently I was just imagining that.

"You and Kylie aren't dating? You are kidding., right?" Braeden scoffed as I shook my head and began walking again.

There was no way I was kidding about that. If I were dating Kylie, I would tell everyone about it. I mean, I'd scream it to the world if it weren't for the fact that I am pretty sure my death is approaching. Footsteps seemed to multiply throughout the church as Braeden walked with her gun ready to be used. My flashlight seemed to shine in every corner as I tried to ignore the sounds around me. It was very likely that all of the noise was just my imagination.

"No, I haven't had the time to ask her or even take her on a date." I sighed as I thought of how I have really only known Kylie for about a week. "Plus I think we should wait a little longer. Our friendship is moving too quickly."

It was the truth.

We had already done things that shouldn't be done when you barely know someone. The fact that I have had a crush on her since last year really doesn't justify that. I would regret not asking her though if these sounds I am hearing turn out to be a killer and I end up dead by the end of the night.

"Well, you may regret not kissing her," Braeden's voice held a certain edge to it as we saw another shadow across the hall.

A growl followed it and Braeden picked up her gun as we backing into a hallway. Taking a deep breath, Derek's scent picked up but there was something different about it. Something that was more childlike. Her gun was cocked and I shifted as we waited for the growl to happen again.

It didn't though, a small mouse ran out from the shadows causing me to jump and then blush. I am an alpha werewolf yet I am scared of a little mouse. I really blame this Stiles for making me watch horror movies last night.

"What was that thing?" I asked Braeden as an animal took off through the halls.

She simply shrugged before leading me into a room that had a weird symbol on the back wall. The scent was the strongest in here and as I took a step closer to the wall, the building began to shake and I backed up to help Braeden who had fallen. Slowly standing, my brown eyes scanned the room before landing on the back wall which now had fallen into a pile of rubble. A figured lay behind it, covered in a web-like substance.

"I think we found Derek."

~

"Is that Derek?" Malia asked as Braeden and I carried the teenager in between the two of us.

His hand was angled towards the ground as Braeden let him go and I did the same. His knees hit the ground at the same time his head snapped up and his eyes met Malia's. Bright blue and tear-filled eyes. Derek seemed to be more vulnerable than he had ever been before. His usual calm and collected state were gone and replaced with a childlike nervousness.

"What?" Derek's voice sounded as Kylie took a step back in what seemed to be shocked. "What's going on?" he asked as Kylie shook her head and rushed forward to help him up before turning to me with a confused frown.

I just stared back at her in surprise as Derek looked at her with a small smile on his lips.

"Derek... It's okay! You're okay?" Kylie told to her cousin while her eyes glowed bright red.

Derek's statement caused me to jump into action as I grabbed Kylie away from him and helped him to the jeep.