Chapter 5

This chapter is dedicated to TrinNerdie for the cover that's on the side :D ----->

Chapter 5

Turns out Erik wasn’t coming for another couple of months. He said he had just gotten a job, right after he had called us, and couldn’t take any days off. But he promised he would make it for Thanksgiving this year. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I was really looking forward to spending some time with Erik again and riding his bike, but I guess it would have to wait.

*                      *                      *

For the rest of the summer I took my runs in peace. Ian was smart enough to stay away. If I ever saw him again I’d be shoving my foot down his throat and making him eat what he said. My boobs weren’t that small! I had a size B cup, which in my opinion were a good size. I didn’t wanna go walking around with melons weighing me down—mine were already annoying enough.

I knew I would eventually be seeing him once school started, but I figured I’d be able to avoid him considering he was a year ahead of me and had different classes.

*                      *                      *

A week before school started I headed over to the grocery store to pick some stuff up for dinner that night. I was walking out of the store when I noticed a large billboard sign plastered with missing children posters.

When I had first started living with the Donovan’s I used to check the board every time I came grocery shopping with Ester. I always thought that maybe, just maybe, someone might have been looking for me.

I know Ester hated when I looked at the board. I think she was afraid I might find something and I’d be taken away from her. But even if I had seen a missing poster of me I would never have left Ester and my new family. I looked at the billboard wanting to know that someone out there was looking for me, not because I wanted to meet them or anything, but I just wanted to know someone from my past actually cared.

Tonight was the first time I had looked at the board since I was thirteen, the time when I had given up thinking someone cared. I’m not exactly sure why the board had drawn me to it after 3 years, but what I saw had completely surprised me.

There, plastered right in the middle of the board, was a picture of a little girl with the words “Missing Child” in large print. The poster read that she was eight years old at the time she disappeared and that now she would probably be sixteen. The girl had light brown, almost golden, eyes and her hair was the same color that ran down her shoulders in small waves. But what had caught me off guard was seeing how she looked exactly like Ian.

I don’t know what exactly it was, but just the way she held herself in the picture that reminded me of Ian. It was probably the smug look on her face, which is weird to see on a missing child poster.

But was it really possible that this girl could be related to Ian?

I was curious and I really wanted to ask, but not curious enough to forget the fact that he was an asshole and I wanted nothing to do with him. Whoever that little girl is was none of my business. And I planned on keeping it that way.

*                      *                      *

That night, as I lay down to sleep, I couldn’t stop thinking about the little girl on the poster. Was she really related to Ian or was it just my imagination?

As I started to drift off the last thing I thought about was the look she had in her eyes. How light they were that they almost looked golden and surreal.