IX. Morning Surprises (edited)

Start from the beginning

Me (21:26): Hey. I just got done with practice. Nonna won't be here until tomorrow.

Mads (21:28): Hey, babe. I miss u. How was practice? And was that ur way of telling me u want me to come over ;)

I rolled my eyes at his text before I responded.

Me (21:32): I miss you too and it was tiring as usual, especially with my co-captain Connor running drills. As for the last question, I would LOVE to have you over tonight, but it's a school night and I need to be fully charged. Sorry :(

Mads (21:36): I know some ways to keep u "fully charged" ;)

His comment was a light-hearted tease, but I felt a blush stain my cheeks nonetheless.

Me (21:38): I hate you.

Mads (21:40): No u don't. U adore me. Anyways I'll let u rest. I'll be counting down the minutes until I'll see you again. Goodnight hun <3

Me (21:43): You're right. Goodnight , Madison <333

***

My morning was off to a rough start. I'd slept through two alarms, was out of coffee–which was the only thing that kept me up so early in the morning–and had nothing but a lone apple to hold me over until lunch since I'd forgotten to go to the store and I didn't have Nona here to remind me every five seconds. I'd just gotten out of the shower and started looking for something to wear to school,a mini mental breakdown tugging on the back of my brain when a familiar sweatshirt caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Madison's Columbia sweatshirt. Smiling to myself since I knew it was my boyfriend's, I slid it on and instantly his scent rushed into my nose, relaxing me and making me feel as if everything was okay even though I knew that if I wasn't at school in less than twenty minutes Mr. Hill was going to slowly murder me. I quickly slid on some sweats and a pair of shoes before I grabbed my backpack, phone, earbuds, keys, and apple before I headed out the door. But to my surprise, as soon as I opened the door, I saw Madison in front of it with one hand frozen in mid-knock and the other with a giant brown bag that smelled of delicious foods.

"Please tell me that's for me," I begged, knowing I'd barely make it to second hour on just an apple.

"Yes, Noah, it's for you," Madison said with an amused smile, causing me to smile before I wrapped my arms around him.

"You're the best," I said giving him a tight hug.

"I know," he said once I released him, flashing his camera-ready smile. "Now let's go. You don't want to be late to school, now would you?"

"Ugh, don't remind me," I sighed as I followed him out the door, making sure to lock it behind me.

"How did you know I was running late and needed breakfast?" I asked after we'd gotten into the car. I opened up the bag to see two breakfast burritos and two hash browns waiting for me.

"I didn't, but I figured that since we're having our little date a bit later I should at least bring you breakfast to pamper you or whatever, you know? I just wanted to surprise you. I was honestly running late myself. I only knew you were still home because your car was in the driveway."

"Well thank you," I said before I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"You're welcome. This is yours by the way," he said offering me a large Starbucks coffee frappuccino in a glass bottle. "I didn't know what you liked so I just grabbed one and hoped for the best."

"It's perfect," I assured with a grin as I took it and opened it, greedily taking in its contents that helped keep me awake all day during my classes.