Chap 2

Madison's POV

"When everything feels like the movies, yeah you bleed just to know you're alive" The lyrics to my favorite song blast out of my speakers. Iris, by The Goo Goo Dolls. I like it because it explains everything in my life. The chorus starts as I hear the unpleasant voice of my mother call my name.

I sigh and pause my iPod. When Ricky was here she uses to be so kind and pleasant, so full of life. She uses to love me, but when Ricky left so did her love for me. Whatever, I don't deserve love. I swing my legs over the side of my bed and haul up the rest of my body. I place my feet on the cold hardwood floor and walk to the door.

My room is on the first floor so I simply walked to the kitchen where her voice is coming from. "What do you-" I'm cut off by a bone-crushing hug. I immanently stiffen thinking it's Alec, my mom's new husband, my mom's new, abusive, husband. "Get off of me!" I scream, pushing him off of me, I back away and look up. My mouth falls open in shock and my eyes widen. It wasn't Alec, though at this point I wish it was. It's Ricky. The brother who abandoned me two years ago, yeah I get it, he had to do his thing in L.A, but he could have at least called me, or answered my damn texts! He was gone when I needed him the most, so he can go fuck himself and die in a hole for all I care. "Go fuck yourself," I state simply, turn on my heels, and walk away. We use to be so close, but then again I screw everything up.

Ricky's POV

I'm practically bouncing off the walls in the car. I get to see Maddi for the first time in two years! "Calm down Ricky, you're gonna break the seat belt!" Kian says while focusing on the road.

"Sorry," I say while laughing. "I just haven't seen Maddi in two years! I just wish the reason was different." I mutter the last part quietly. You see, last week I got a text from my mom saying that lately, Maddi has been acting up. She's noticed self-harm marks and that she tries to skip almost every meal. Over 4 times she's taken her to a shrink but Maddi refuses to talk. So she asked me if I could look after her, maybe find out why she's harming herself.

I kill me inside to think that my little baby Madison is doing such awful things to herself. She uses to be such a free spirit, always smiling and screwing around. The second she gets home I'm having a serious talk with her, I don't care if she likes it or not.

"Ricky, I know this has to be hard, but don't worry, we'll help her any way we can." He says. I smile and lightly slapped his back with my hand.

"Thanks, Kian."

I could see him do his famous crab face, as he slowly, like a pedo turns to face me. "Booska!" He screams and snaps his head back to the road. I burst out laughing, and after about 5 minutes I finally stop. That's one of the things I love about Kian, he can cheer me up no matter what!

****Skip to when Maddi comes down****

"No, Sam is a better fake girl then Trevor," I say. I and Kian are currently waiting for Maddi. Mom just called her down but she's taking forever! I can't wait to see How much she's changed, but at the same time, I'm scared.

"What do you-" I hear, I don't let her finish because I give her the biggest hug a human could possibly give. I feel her tense under me. Umm, okay? She's never had a problem with me touching her before. What happened to my baby?

"Get off of me!" She screams, pushing me away and backing up. She lifts her head from the ground, and her mouth falls in shock. I can see the pain, and sorrow in her eyes, but as quickly as it came, it vanishes. She grits her teeth, and calmly spits out," go fuck yourself. " Before I can say anything, she turns on her heels and goes stopping back to her room. My mom sighs and says,

"I'm so sorry Ricky. Ever since you left she hasn't been the same."

"I just hope I can help mom, she's definitely changed. "

"I know. I've packed all her things in a bag under her bed. If I'm right she'll be down here in 2 minutes to ride her penny board. Grab her stuff and load it in the car, I'll tell her she has to be back in ten, so you'll have about twenty minutes to pack everything up." She sighs. I give her a weak smile and wall over to her.

"It'll be ok. I'll fix her. I promise. " I whisper.

"I'll be back whenever! " Madi stops down the hall, her light green penny in her right hand, a tote bag with who knows what it the other.

"Be back in ten, and no vandalism!" Mom screams after her.

"Whatever! "She calls and slams the door.

"Wait, vandalism?!" Kian asks. I hear the panic in his voice. Honestly, who can blame him? I would do the same thing if I was in his shoes.

"Yes. Unfortunately, she has a record of vandalism and street fighting. I've tried so many times to stop her but." I can tell she's about to break so I intervene.

"It's an ok mama. Where's her bag?"

"Under her bed, I think I got all the blades from her last trip, but please check again. "

"Course."

Kian and I walk over to her room in silence. I'm kinda scared to find out what's behind here. A lot can change in two years. I turn the knob and open the door. Her room used to be a pretty blue-green with little touches of her everywhere. A large picture frame here, some sports parafnile there. But now, its a plain dark blue with a few posters in the wall, some bands, and a few sports teams. A little see through the box in the corner holds all her old things. I walk over to the bed, that is pushed up against the wall and reach under it grabbing the large duffle bag. I run downstairs hoping to get it in the trunk before she comes home since I don't know how long She's been gone. I gently place it in the back and walk inside.

MADI'S POV

I pull up to my street and think about the lovely picture I just tagged the side of the school with; a pretty brunette girl with a smile, but when you look closer you see the pain and hollowness in her eyes, also the little cracks in her smile suggesting that there's more going on behind the smile.

I sigh and unlock the door. I bend down and grab Shield, my penny, and push open the door. I named it Shield, not only because Agents of the shield is one of my favorite shows, but because, like a shield it protects me; not from shrapnel or bullets, but from myself, sometimes if I feel like self-harming I grab my board and ride around, and the urges go. I carefully place her by the door and walk in to see my worst nightmare. Ricky, His friend, my 'mother' And Alec, my stepfather. Great, I get a beating tonight.