Chapter 37

After what she had seen at the bedroom window, Fiona fought a head cold all week.

Every time she moved her head, it felt as though there was someone sitting on top of her skull, digging their fingers into her scalp, causing more pain.

The coldness in the house didn't help either. As a matter of speaking, it made the head cold much worse, especially when cold winds blew around the house. And sometimes, because of how bad the headaches became, Fiona would have to spend time alone in the bedroom on her own.

Steven, who no longer felt comfortable with the thought of his wife being on her own — would sit outside the bedroom door with his mobile phone. Browsing through what pointless stuff on the internet he could find, which suited him much better than just sitting there, doing nothing.

And in the events leading up to the exorcisms, nothing out of the ordinary happened: save for a chair twitching, a knock on the door with nobody outside.

It was just the old man playing around, waiting in the shadows.

Chris Simmons Journal.

Fiona looks terrible. She has the face of somebody going through the worst hangover since drinking began. I'm being polite when I write that. But she does look awful. Death warmed up.

Lamont tells Fiona being ill is quite commonplace where demons are involved.

'Demons will do anything to torment you.' He explains. 'People who spend years possessed by these fallen angels or under their power will suffer from headaches, toothache, earache. All things we see as normal. Have you read the Key of Solomon?'

'We've never heard of it.' Fiona says, looking at Steven, hoping he can throw some light on the book, but he has a blank look on his face.

Lamont explains the text. 'It's one of those books not found in the Bible. It tells the story about a ring given to Solomon, which in his possession had the power to make every demon confess their abilities, who they were. The lesser demons told the King they brought sickness to the world.'

'So the old man is to blame for my toothache and Fiona's head cold.'

'It's what people used to believe — that demons were responsible for.'

The priest stops speaking and looks around the kitchen.

'What's up?'

'You don't feel it?'

Fiona does — we all do. The kitchen has gone really cold. The cold air has a big effect on the priest. He tells everyone he feels faint. And for a moment, he stumbles.

Seeing this, Steven pulls out a chair.

'Quick, Father, sit down before you faint.'

The priest does. And he begins to breathe heavily — as though he has heartburn.