Chapter 25

When Steven came home from work — he told Chris about the incident.

'And it was the old man's face?'

'Yeah.' Steven replied. Still in shock, the old man could leave its trademark on his wife's back. And why her? Why not him or the girls? None of it made sense. It was like snow during a heatwave.

'Are you still there?'

Steven didn't realise his inner thought had struck him dumb for a moment or two.

'Yeah, I'm still here. I was just miles away. So any idea when you and Lisa, and whathisface?'

'Sam.'

'Yeah, Sam, I couldn't remember his name. Any idea when you're all coming back?'

Chris picked something up in his client's voice that he couldn't overlook. The words; impatience and desperation sprang to his mind like a Jack in the box.

'I know you're having a rough time, but you have to keep yourself together.'

'That's easy for you to say, but it's been nearly a month since we've heard anything from you.'

Chris knew where Steven was coming from. But he had other files to look at, not just the Richmond Case.

He and Lisa were involved in another case in Blackpool, where a young woman claimed someone kept scratching at night, moving things around at night.

'I'll try to make it to your place at the weekend, but I'm making no promises.'

Steven caught something in Chris's voice. A jiggling sound.

'You're frightened, aren't you?'

Chris shook his head over the phone as though Steven could see it.

'It's hard not to be if you want the truth.'

'Are you fucking kidding me? You've done hundreds of cases like ours, and you still get scared!' Steven wanted to yell over the phone — but kept his cool.

'You surprise me.'

'It's true, these ghosts and demons. They still scare me. I just put on a brave front.'

'Maybe you should get another line of work.'

'That would be great. The problem is; I like my job too much. Weird, I know.'

'A bit, yeah. So the church, what's happening there?'

'Not much, I'm afraid. Sam is breaking his neck, trying to get the church involved. But so far, zilch. We might have to look elsewhere?'

'Where?' Steven wanted to know. He had seen enough horror movies in his lifetime to know getting an exorcism was his only hope in driving this terror from his house.

'That I've not figured out yet, but what I do know. I don't think the Catholic Church will help because neither of you is catholic.'

'What difference does that make if we're catholic or not?'

Chris knew that question would crop up, and he already had the answer in his thoughts.

'A lot, and even if they do agree, it might take a few months, or even a year, before they do come on board. Although that's rare, it does happen.'

'I know you said that before.'

'I know, I did, but we will get there.'

'Let's hope so.'