Chapter 34

They got an Uber home, not saying anything because of the thoughts in their head. Steven kept thinking about the girls. Wishing the old man would leave them be at his mum's house. They didn't deserve what the old cunt was doing to them.

Checking his mobile phone. He hoped to see a message sign, but there was nothing. And that meant no news from Chris and his team.

Fiona sat beside Steven, looking out of the window, the sky a blanket of sulking grey was occupied with her own thoughts.

Would the old man keep terrorising Harmony and Katrina? If that answer was a yes, she and Steven would be helpless to stop it.

The Uber making a right turn, Steven leaned forward.

'Straight down mate.'

The driver gave a signal with his head until he came to the address given.

Fiona unlocking the front door — wanted to know.

'Do you want a coffee?' She asked, hanging her coat up as Steven came in.

'No, I'm fine. What I want to know — is what the hell were you playing at?'

'Come again?'

'You know what I mean.'

'Going to your mum's house. What did it look like I was doing?' The question was spat out, and Steven wasn't impressed.

'You could have phoned. Do you know how much shit we could have gotta into if Angela had shown up?'

'I did; several times, but every time I rang your number, it went straight to voice mail. What else could I do?'

Fiona had a point, but still, she had to realise with these social workers; she had to kiss their arses and lick the calluses on their feet.

'I don't know, but you could at least kept trying. Anything could have happened.'

'But it didn't.'

'But what if it did? That's what I'm trying to get across!'

Into the kitchen, Fiona went to the cupboard, got herself a cup, and began to make herself a drink. 'You sure you don't want one?'

Steven shook his head, declining the offer. 'I just want you to get where I'm coming from.'

'I do, but what else did you want me to do, ignore the fact the girls were in danger because the social services might have called round at your mum's house? I'm sorry, but if I think my children are in danger. I'm not going to stand back and do fuck all.'

Steven drew back for a second, calming down.

'I suppose you're right. I would have done the same thing.'

'So, why bite my head off, then?'

Fiona had a point. Steven felt it.

'Because I was worried.'

'Is that why you turned up at your mum's house?'

There was no answer given to that question, and Fiona moved away.

'Should I make us something to eat?'

'If you want.'

Fiona got on with it, and Steven heard his mobile ringing. It was his mum.

Nothing major, just that the girls were okay. And they were planning to get a McDonald's and watch Netflix.

'The girls will like that. And how is everything?'

Elizabeth got the gist of the question.

'Everything is fine if that's what you're asking.'

'I just worry, that's all, especially.'