Chapter 19

Steven was sitting on the toilet with his jeans wrapped around his ankles when he heard Fiona's voice shouting for him to come downstairs. The voice was muffled, not making much sense.

'I'm busy; what do you want?'

For a moment, there was no reply, and just for a split second, Steven thought it was the ghost in the house. As of late, pretending to be Fiona or the girls was the old man's latest trick.

But the voice came again, this time with the footsteps running up the stairs, a fist pounding on the bathroom door.

'Steven, what are you doing?'

'What do you think I'm doing?'

'Well, hurry up. You're not going to believe this.'

With those words, Fiona was gone, rushing down the stairs.

'Fuck's sake, you can't even take a shit in this house without something happening.' Steven mumbled to himself. Wiping his arse, flushing everything away.

Pulling his jeans quickly as he could, he went over to the bathroom window, allowed the fresh air from outside to kill the stink, and ran his hands under the cold water.

'Steven!'

'Okay, I'm coming.'

Drying his hands, Steven left the bathroom and scurried downstairs.

'Okay, where's the fire?'

'We saw a pig.' Harmony burst out.

'A what?' Steven asked, his mouth hanging to the floor.

A pig in the family room was certainly one for the books.

'Are you sure?' Steven had to ask, despite all the crazy shit happening around the house. That his family was now seeing ghostly pigs roaming around. It was too unreal.

But hadn't he woken up last night to see himself floating outside the bedroom window? Suspended in the night sky.

He had.

So, why not a phantom pig?

Nothing inside this house was left to the imagination; the ghost man/old man, whatever it was stalking his family, could be whatever it wanted to be.

Everyone spoke at once, and Steven's mind began to race; he found it difficult to keep up.

'One at a time, please.'

Fiona spoke: 'I was cleaning behind the telly when this pig ran out; the little fucker scared the shit out of me.'

'It was a baby pig?'

'Yes, no, I don't know. What does it matter? It was a pig.'

'And you all saw it?'

'Yeah, dad, it was really ugly; it had no skin; you could see parts of its bones as though something had bitten into it.' Katrina said.

'Where did it go?'

'Underneath there.' Fiona said, pointing to the armchair next to the door.

Steven went to the armchair and pulled it out.

'There's nothing here.' He said.

Fiona told Katrina to get off her lap.

'I want to stay with you.' Katrina said in a frightened voice, tugging at her mum like a small kid on the first day of nursery.

Standing up, Fiona went to Steven.

'I'm telling you, that's where it went.'

Steven pushed the armchair back to its original place.