Chapter 36

Exorcism!

Everyone has heard of it. Or they have seen the films associated with the practice. Yet Hollywood — with all its talents, has never portrayed a movie that has documented the supernatural event as it would be in reality.

To those few who have dedicated their lives to the art, 'Exorcism,' as they have stated. 'Is no overnight success.' The practice can take weeks, months, or even years for the victim to be fully free from the demonic spirits.

The exorcism at 54 Richmond Street was no different.

Chris Simmons kept a journal, and within those pages, he wrote about the ritual performed by Father Lament.

Chris Simmons Journal

Fiona and Steven are delighted to see us again, though we feel this is because of the priest we have brought with us: Father Lamont.

The priest spends a full hour discussing the ins and outs of his job, and then he does something remarkable. He blesses Fiona and Steven.

'This is important,' He tells them. 'Demons will use what past sins you may have committed and will use them against you. The attacks are psychological; they're used to prey on your weaknesses. To shatter your faith in God. You do believe in God?'

The silence between Fiona and Steven gives the priest his answer.

'I take it by that silence. You're still in doubt whether God is real. I don't blame you for your doubts. Why believe in somebody you have never seen? It's like going to a concert with friends, spending a fortune on the ticket when you've never heard the band play a single note.'

Fiona felt embarrassed by Lamont's explanation; judging by the look on her face, she didn't know what to say.

She hadn't expected the priest to say the words he had spoken.

However, she had other things on her mind. It was the priest; we all noticed it. He couldn't stop sweating.

Steven asked Lamont if he wanted a glass of water.

'That'll be nice.' He replied.

Shortly after the priest drank the water, he began to explain the dangers involved.

'The demon, when we begin, will try to stop us. Any experiences you may have had with this old man, as you call him, will seem minor compared with the onslaughts he will use to fight back. During the ritual, I will ask you to pray daily. Ask God for his guidance. It doesn't matter if you believe in God. What's important is that you put your trust in him. Because this will help you fight the demon in your home!'

'Is it just the one demon, or do we have more?'

'Looking at the files documented, I say it, just the one, which is quite rare, but he is powerful.'

'I think I may know who he is, this old man.' Fiona says.

Everybody in the room focused their attention on Fiona, eager to know what she meant by that statement.