Chapter 16

The following day, Fiona looked bad. She had spent the previous night sleeping in a rigid state. Why? Because Katrina's bed was only a singular. Usually, Fiona would stretch her legs out. It was her sleeping ritual, but she couldn't do that in Katrina's bed. Too small.

So, the result was a bad night of sleep. Fiona looking like a ghost painted on a black wall.

Downstairs in the kitchen, Steven was ready for another day at work; he had his visor jacket on.

'I'll take it; you slept last night in the girl's bedroom?'

'Yeah.'Fiona said, making herself a coffee. 'Do you want one?'

'No. I'm good.' Steven said, shaking his head.

'Well, I need one, that's for sure. Those single beds are meant for sharing.'

'I think that's why they call them singles. So, I'll take it the girls weren't okay last night?'

'Not really; Katrina was having trouble.'

'With him?'

'Who else?'

'Sorry, stupid question. So what was he doing?'

Fiona thought about last night as she drank the coffee she had made. 'You know, the usual.'

'Do you want to speak about it?'

'Not if you don't mind being late.'

'Five minutes won't hurt. So, what happened?'

Fiona told Steven about the old man, the ghost, not letting Katrina sleep.

'Never any rest from the wicked, eh?'

'You can say that again. I just wish Chris would text.'

Steven looked doubtful. 'I think that ship has sailed.'

Fiona allowed that comment to hang around for a second, but then she blew it away.

'You never know, he might reply.'

There was hope in her voice - Steven heard it like a song - being played on the radio. But he found the lyrics hard to swollen, the melody of key.

'I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee.'

'And what does that mean?'

'Exactly what it means, this thing, in our home. It's too much for Chris and him being under the weather; he might not be.'

'You reckon; he's faking it?'

Steven made a big gesture with his shoulders. 'I don't know, he could be!'

'Or maybe he has something to do with it.'

'The old man?'

'Why not? I'll mean, the last thing he wants is us getting help.'

Fiona could have a point - nobody got that ill; they couldn't make a phone call or send out a message. Unless that person was dying, or the latter. It had something to do with the old man.

Maybe that was true, but right now, Steven had to get moving.

'Listen tonight when I get in from work. Why don't we all go out? Get away from here, you know.'

'Where?'

'Anywhere, KFC, Pizza hut, who cares?'

'Sounds good. I think the girls will like it, as well, and talking about the girls. I'm best, waking them up for school. I just hope Chris texts.'