Chapter 29

Chris spoke to Fiona on April 28th; after hearing about the recent turmoil. He felt bad for the family and couldn't find any words of comfort when he spoke to her on the phone.

Fiona was curious about how Chris knew about the girls taken into care and wanted to know that.

'Steven mentioned it.'

'To tell you the truth, he phoned me. He's worried about you. He said you haven't eaten, and you're always cleaning the house.'

'I have to do something to take my mind off everything.' Fiona said, and then she thought, why was she explaining herself to someone who didn't have children?

'You know the police spoke to us like we were criminals, kept asking us the same questions. How did Harmony get the bruises? What were we doing on the night when she almost drowned? Why didn't we hear anything?'

Chris, as Fiona told him about the police, was under the impression. The police had questioned Fiona and Steven in the same room.

'Wait a minute, they spoke to you; at the same time?'

'No, on different days. I think they wanted to trip us up, you know, well, your husband said this; now, you're saying this. Which one is it? That kind of thing.'

'I'll see.' Chris replied back.'

'And here is what pisses me off. I've never been in trouble with the police before, but that made no difference to them; they took our fingerprints and asked if our names were on any police records. Steven mentioned his police caution for shoplifting when he was fourteen.'

'Do you have any inkling when the children are coming home?' Chris asked.

'The social services haven't said anything. Angela is coming round tomorrow afternoon to see if we got food in the house and to look in the girl's bedroom. I'm a little concerned with that because, as you know, Harmony hasn't slept in her room for ages.'

'Why are you worried?'

'Because Harmony might have mentioned something about the old man; Angela might think it's Steven.'

'I see; maybe I should speak to her and explain the situation.'

'What to Angela?'

'Yeah, explain what you and your family are going through.'

Fiona wasn't keen on that idea.

'We mention ghosts and demons; she's gonna think we're crazy.'

'I see what you mean,' Chris said. 'The last thing you need is me showing my ugly mug, especially when you got the welfare people on your back.'

'Exactly, so what's happening with the church? Are they willing to help us yet?' Fiona asked, changing the conversation and leaving Chris wondering if the police had charged her and Steven.

He would find out later on; they hadn't.

'At the moment, not too good. I think the best solution is spending a few days at your house and see if we can get anything that might get the church off their arses.'

'Steven and I did that, and you told us it wasn't enough.' Fiona said. 'What about that priest who tried blessing the house? Surely he must have spoken to the church.'

'He's left the parish.'

'Scared the priest that bad, did it?'

'Kinda off, yeah.'

Fiona then asked Chris if the church would listen to their pleas if she and Steven had any witnesses - apart from those living here.

'I can't say, but anything is worth a try.'