Chapter 18

Almost a week and no ghost shit — what a relief! The family could stop walking on eggshells. Gee, right, let's get real. Nobody could settle. They were on constant watch, expecting something to happen.

And in the meantime, Fiona went on phoning Chris, hoping he would text back.

Nothing, and by late February. She began hearing more stories from the neighbours who knew something wasn't right.

In what way?

Well, the neighbour who came banging on the front door — first thing in the morning. She had seen from her bedroom window an old man on the roof.

'This was around midnight. I was closing the window, and I could see him.'

'Doing what?'

'Screeching like a cat. You know, when they're in mating season, and they make all these curdling sounds. Well, that's what — he was doing. I saw it with all my own eyes. This old man crawling around on your roof, purring and everything. It was damn creepy.'

Steven. 'When the neighbours started telling us about these incidents involving the old man, Fiona and I didn't find them hard to believe. A few years ago, we might have done, but now we knew anything was possible. Once you start to see dogs running around your backyard with no heads, or you wake up to find yourself floating in the air, anything is possible.'

We also learned this old man had a sick sense of humour.

For example, Harmony would be coming downstairs when she would suddenly trip on the last three steps.

Later, she would tell us somebody had stuck his leg out.

'Was it the old man?' I would ask.

'I don't know.' She would say. 'I didn't see anyone; I just fell.'

Fiona, when she would go and sit at the kitchen table, she would fall flat on her bum, and moments later, she would see a black frame hovering outside the kitchen window, laughing.

Despite all this, the family tried to get on with their lives, such as looking for a new home. Unfortunately, the Housing Association didn't see them as an emergency case.

The only alternative left was private landlords, but the asking prices ranging from eight hundred to a grand per month would only leave the family in debt.

And after another night of terror, pounding on the walls and ceilings, not to mention the sounds of horses galloping.

Fiona began yelling at Steven, telling him; she didn't care where she lived or how much it would cost.

She just wanted the girls to be safe.

That outburst hurt Steven because he loved his girls more than anything.

He really did.

Like, most of the residents on Richmond Street

Like, most of the residents on Richmond Street. Ellen Wood, a retired care worker, is no different to anybody else. She puts up with no rubbish and keeps herself to herself.