CHAPTER 38. The fight for your homies

Cairo POV~

We were way behind with paperwork and I didn't have the nerve to ask Marian again to speed up. She did what she could but being in trial meant we worked overtime everyday, and we spent endless hours on useless data processing and cross referencing from other similar cases.

She was tired, I was tired, I haven't seen Greg for two days in a row and it frustrated me to a point that I made a hasty decision. I picked up my phone and speed dialled Marian.

 I picked up my phone and speed dialled Marian

"Marian, hi, it's me. Let's get out of here. Let's eat lunch together!" I asked her, she sounded taken aback wheen she answered, even surprised. "Maybe she thought I will dump more work on her to do." I thought bitterly, we really worked hard on James's case.

It was important for me, as this case was our most publicly followed case, and for Marian, well it was obvious that she worked twice as hard, because she wanted justice for her boyfriend as much as I wanted too.

She agreed to have lunch together and now I just had to wait for her to come back from the admin office.

Until I was waiting, I outlined a few issues in one of the ongoing case, the junior team asked me to have a look at it earlier today. They were doing quite all right, I made a mental note to praise them in the next internal meeting.

About fifteen minutes later Marian strolled in, looking tired as ever, but her smile was genuine.

"Here I am, boss, what are we going to eat?" She asked hopefully, beaming at me. Since we became friends, well I considered us friends, I've learnt a lot of things about her. One of this new fact was that Marian's stomach was like an iron pit. She could stomach anything, like when I brought her to eat sushi, she went for one of my fresh oysters and I was shaken to see one of the delicious oyster to slip down on her throat like it's a marshmallow. It was amusing to see her eat, seriously.

"Nothing extraordinary, don't get your hopes up, Marian." I chided her laughing heartily.

I checked the time, and I knew Greg was taking his break shortly, so we should hurry up with Marian if I wanted to catch Greg on time. I couldn't wait to see Marian's face when I introduce him to her.

"We just need to pop into somewhere first, so let's go, we don't have much time." I added, and I urged her to get her stuff and we were on our way to Greg's flower shop in a few minutes.

Greg's shop was at the adjacent lane, it took only a minute or two to get there. I quickened my footsteps when I saw Greg fumbling around the pots that he placed outside of his shop each morning.

Marian knew nothing about my plan, so the shock on her face was priceless when we arrived in front of the shop and I simply back-hugged Greg. He yelped out of surprise, then he recognised me immediately and turned around and hugged me back properly.

Marian stood beside us like a statue, her eyes bulging, and she couldn't be more similar to a fish even if she would try hard.

"Marian, this is my partner, Greg." I introduced him