CHAPTER 4. - How to get a coffee date

Marian POV ~

I stared at him.

There was no question about it.

A slow, imminent flush started to creep onto my face but even this fact didn't stop me staring at him.

As my eyes bore into his deep, unusually blue eyes, I felt an immediate pull towards him.

"No, no, Marian."-I chided inwardly, and of course cowardly, because I couldn't stop the urgent feeling to look at him. In that way.

I knew there would be harsh consequences if I just say something inappropriate to this child in front of me.

My eyes raked his body, and I felt that particular pull in me again, which I immediately denied, of course. A sense of overwhelming anxiety washed over me, and suddenly I didn't know what to do. I just stood there stupidly at the turnstile.

Suddenly I was back in my PhD years and saw myself in front of the university disciplinary team. Shame,guilt and panic swamped my mind for a moment, then I tried to pull myself together, before I make myself a bigger fool than I already am.

For a moment I thought I managed to compose myself in front of this gorgeous hunk. But I guess, I ultimately failed.

Uhm....what should I say, he is rather a teenager. The thought of his obvious underage rushed more blood to my face, I felt my cheeks burning even more. Then suddenly I've heard myself calling out:

"Would you like to go for a coffee?" - I asked him in a soft tone, which actually surprised me.

Not only because I shouldn't talk to this guy, but because my voice came out softer than I planned. I don't even know what I am doing right now. All I knew the feeling of that strange pull in my belly, and the slow warm that spread through me like the morning sunshine warms your skin.

I tried not to show my eagerness, and looked at his face again, and kept my eyes away from his. For some reason I was afraid to make eye contact with him.

What was I afraid of? Rejection? Consequences? Hurt? Shame? Guilt?

Maybe, all of the above.

"Sure, Miss, I'd certainly like that!" - He spoke up with a clear,deep voice, with a slight south city accent, and with so much confidence that I couldn't avoid his eyes anymore.

I looked at him straight and felt myself melting into his deep blue eyes, they were like the ocean, then I saw his slight smirk at the corner of his mouth and this tiny act of his, punched me in the guts.

With a quick and solid movement I straightened my body and stood tall.

"Thank you for helping me to pick up my stuff, it's fair if I pay you back your kindness somehow." - I said to him, trying to stay cool and ooze professionalism. I hope I didn't fail in that.

"How about 2.30 pm today at Bobó's Cafe on Gallard Street?Do you know where is it?" - I continued quickly before my conscience will interrupt my momentary madness.

I felt his eyes moving up and down on my body, as he stood a tad bit too close to me, although it would still pass appropriate distance. He was merely a head taller than me, lean and the tightness in my belly just increased of for these not very appropriate thoughts.

"Yeah, I know it, a block away from this building, isn't it?"- he asked back, clarifying it.

I was too distracted to confirm it so I just nodded quickly.

"I'll see you then." - I breathed it out then made a hasty escape.

There was a turmoil in my mind as I walked steadily towards the back of the offices, where I knew I need to drop off these heavy documents folders. As soon as I got rid of them, I ran into the nearest bathroom.

I was so mad at myself. There are no words to describe what I felt. I felt my skin breaking out cold sweats, and I realised that history repeating itself.

I still remembered the humiliation, the shame, and in fact, it has never left me since.

It all started so innocently, and I was absolutely blind to it. It never crossed my mind that dating with a minor could lead to prosecution. I was only 24, with a bright future ahead, lived a typical student life, proudly working on my research in social science. I was glad to secure this research opportunity in the local government's office. After a few weeks, school was over, and the transition students arrived to do their community work, meaning we got interns, high school students for summer break.

It didn't take long and one of the lads was shamelessly flirting with me on a daily basis. I couldn't stand a chance. His observant behaviour quickly turned into something more inappropriate and one day I found myself plastered to the washroom wall, himself all over me.

I still remember how hot was his sweet breath on my skin, the way his tounge ravished my mouth and his hands branded my skin. It shouldn't have been a problem,if the director of our floor doesn't walk in on us.

The seriousness of the situation hadn't dawn to me until she informed me that she had to report it and there would be consequences. At least she didn't report me to the police and I got a written warning from my university where I attended my post doctoral studies.

The consequences. I still live with them. The university set up a panel of consultants, and they unanimously decided to dismiss me of the PhD programme.

Within a week my career prospect was just a mere child's dream, and the thought of going home and tell my parents what happened, sickened me.

A cried myself to sleep for a few weeks before I got up and told myself to suck it up and do something with my life.

I phoned home and told my parents that I dropped out of the programme and I didn't mind it. The hardest lie I've ever told to anyone - I kept telling everyone the same story and soon I started to believe it too. Although it still hurts me, now I know that it could have gone worse than it did.

I was lucky to be spared of prosecution and it was only a hairbreadth away. So after many years, I considered myself lucky.

Now, I'm standing in the washroom, a very similar washroom to that particular one, and I feel my heart racing. I open the cold tap, and hold my shaking hands under the water. It feels like I'm in a haze, and for a couple of seconds I just stare at my hands, the way the water intertwines my finger. A loud door bang somewhere in the corridor wakes me up from my stupor and I quickly splash some cold water to my face, in the hope that my flaming red cheeks will return to normal.

"What have I done again?"

----------------------------------------------
James POV ~

My eyes followed her, all the way to the back of the office, where I couldn't see her from the huge floor plants. I didn't know why I felt this pressing desire to watch her closely. I just felt my eyes followed her automatically, as she gracefully walked away from me.

When she disappeared behind the plants, I shook my head and turned to the turnstiles. I went through and headed towards the exit. I still couldn't believe it, this unbelievably hot lady wants to buy me a coffee. I wondered about her, the way she looked at me with abandonment, a flash of guilt crossed her face just before she spoke up. I wanted to know what was that, did I see what I think I saw?

It all felt strangely exciting and terrifying and the same time. A date with a woman. Because she asked me out, didn't she, I pondered in myself with amusement.

Then I looked down at my fingernails.

How will I clean them by 2.30 pm?

A/N

Oh maaaaaan......it's been a while since I posted.... many unfortunate event happened in my life. But it won't stop me writing this story..... :)

So please, read, comment, and vote ☆

Whoever is reading.... lol thanks a gazillion.... ♡