What if? Book the Second

"You thought you could escape me?" Olaf sneered at the siblings. "Thought your bookish, bratty brains could outsmart me? It was sheer luck that you got away from me before, and it won't happen again." The siblings and the dangerous man they were with sat on the deck of the Prospero. "You see, this time I have outsmarted you. Because I am Count Olaf, and by this time next week, your enormous fortune..." Olaf paused for dramatic effect. "Will be mine!" Olaf let out a laugh.

Violet looked at her siblings. Sunny was crying quietly in her arms, shaken by the loss of their uncle and by the loss of her snake friend, the Incredibly Deadly Viper. Klaus glared at Olaf, showing the evil man what he thought of his scheme. "You are a wicked, wicked man," Violet told him. "You will never win."

"Oh, but I already have." Olaf stared at her with his shiny, shiny eyes. "Look around you, orphans. You are in my power. You are at my mercy. When we get to Peru, your fortune will be mine, and you will be dead." He laughed again. "So naive, orphans. So noble. But your hearts can't save you now." He sneered at them. "I am going to get a drink from the bar to celebrate my victory. Plot all you like, orphans. It won't help you now. After all, where do you have to go?"

The siblings watched Olaf recede from view. Sunny clung to her sister's shirt. "Nenoru," she whispered, which meant something along the lines of 'I don't want to die."

"I know, Sunny." Violet said. Her mind worked furiously as she tried to find a way out for her and her siblings. "Klaus, Sunny, do you have any ideas?" She asked hopefully.

"We're in the middle of the ocean," Klaus said, "So we can't jump overboard and swim for shore. Not yet at least."

"What do you mean?" Violet asked. "Do you want to jump overboard? Won't we die in Peru without food or water?"

"Tinuod." Sunny said. She meant, 'Klaus is right. We can't go with Olaf. Besides, we'll die if we stay, so the better option is to go.'

"Sunny's right, Violet." Klaus told her. "It is our only option."

"Okay." Violet agreed. "When we see land, we jump ship. Olaf is overconfident. Maybe we can hide in the jungle in Peru. It's dangerous, but you and Sunny are right. Staying is more dangerous." She nodded. "At least we'll be together."