What If? Book the Fourth

Trigger warning- Inordinate amounts of blood and gore. Also major and minor character death.

"Lucky!" Violet shouted. "Pull the log away from the saw!"

Klaus started to, but then, "Lucky!" screamed Foreman Flacutono. "Yes, you lucky midget, you, push the log towards the saw."

"Lucky!" Violet said again. "Away from the saw!"

"Lucky! Towards!" the foreman yelled.

"Lucky, away!" Violet cried.

"LUCKY!" A voice bellowed. "Don't listen to your sisters. Push that blasted man into the saw." It was Dr. Orwell. Klaus pushed the log towards the saw. Charles yelled in pain as the saw cut through his shoe and into his foot.

Violet screamed. She had never seen so much blood! And her poor brother was being hypnotized, and there was nothing she or Sunny could do! She began to think. Her innovative mind whirred.

Then, to make matters worse, Shirley appeared. "Lucky! Kill that man, then kill that bratty girl and the bucktoothed baby!"

With a final push, the entranced Klaus made the saw go faster. Charles, with a last horrible yell of agony, was cut cleanly in half. His blood and guts fell out of him, splattering Klaus.

Violet screamed again. She began thinking harder than ever. Klaus picked up a de-barker and headed towards Sunny. "Klaus!" She screamed. "Lucky! Don't kill Sunny!" But Klaus paid her no mind. She grabbed his hands, trying to wrench the de-barker from him, but he elbowed her in the stomach. She fell backward. He clubbed Sunny on the head. She collapsed. Violet saw blood on her sister's head.

"SUNNY!" Violet screamed. She ran and picked up her baby sister. "Sunny!" She put her ear to her sister's chest. No heartbeat. No breath. She screamed in frustration and anger and pain. She pulled her sister close to her chest and ran as hard and fast as she could away from Paltryville. She heard sounds of pursuit. 

BANG! A gunshot rang out. She looked back. Her brother was chasing her, swinging the gun he had wildly. His strength, though, was still that of a 12-year-old boy's, and he had never shot a gun before. His aim, therefore, was off. Violet picked up her pace. Her heart raced and so did her mind. What was the word? What word would bring her brother back to her? BANG! White-hot pain flared in Violet's right leg. 

She collapsed. She thought back. What word was it? What word? She felt her leg burn, felt the blood flow out, felt her strength drain away. She cried out. No words, just a sound of pure agony. It reminded her of Charles and Phil.

Phil! He had said the word inordinate and her brother had gone back to himself. "INORDINATE!" Violet cried as loud as she could. "Inordinate, Klaus. Inordinate!" 

Klaus blinked at her. He looked down at his hands. "Violet, why do I have a gun?" He asked. "Why am I covered in blood?" He noticed the state his sister was in. "What happened to you? You've been-" Realization came to Klaus. "Shot." He said finally. He threw the gun far away from him. He began to cry. "I'm so sorry, Violet. I didn't mean to! I promise I would never hurt you."

"I... I know, Klaus." Violet managed. Her voice was thin and weak. "Klaus... they made... made you kill Sunny." She cradled the body of her sister in her arms. Klaus gasped and ran to Violet.

"Sunny!" He moaned. He collapsed next to the huddled forms of his sisters. "I killed her?" He asked, after a while.

"They made you... do it... Klaus. Wasn't your... fault." Violet assured her brother. She tried to sling an arm around her brother and cried out in pain. "Love you..." Violet said. "Promise."

But nothing could change the fact that Sunny Baudelaire was dead, Violet Baudelaire was shot, and Klaus...

Klaus Baudelaire had his sisters' blood on his hands.