Peace and Happiness

Violet had taken up meditation. She didn't really like guided meditation, not with the bodyless voice giving her meaningless instructions. She preferred visualizations, where a picture was painted in her mind and she allowed herself to live another life for just fifteen minutes. Sometimes Sunny and Klaus would sit with her on her bed and hold her hands as they meditated with her.

Klaus wrote poetry- not couplets, they reminded him too much of Isadora- but freeform poems about life and death and nature and chaos and whatever else struck his fancy. He sometimes showed these to Violet and Sunny, who would smile back at him and tell him that they were proud of him.

Sunny liked to put on music in the kitchen as she baked- she liked to knead bread dough as she sang along to whatever song she was playing. She sometimes noticed Violet and Klaus looking in on her in the kitchen with small smiles on their faces, listening to her sing and watching her bake. It made her feel safe.

It was hard, trying to find peace these days. So much reminded them of their old, frantic life- peppermints reminded them of Aunt Josephine, who was now dead at the bottom of Lake Lachrymose; coconut cake reminded them of dear Uncle Monty, the first unassuming victim of Count Olaf's scheming; gum reminded them of sweet old Phil. They didn't know where he had ended up, but, wherever he was, surely he was happy.

They didn't know, sometimes, whether they could call themselves happy, but they thought they were getting there.