Dunclet

Queenie here- yeah. It's finally here! I finally wrote a Dunclet piece! Shout out to Ravenclawsome, hearm3338, and scarlet_xoxo_2018, and the rest of the Dunclet stans who commented and whose usernames I'm forgetting. I really hope you guys like this. I worked really hard on this.

The three triplets watched other volunteers float away as their boat went into the Great Unknown. "Violet!" Duncan cried out to Kit. "Tell her I miss her, Kit, please! And the others, too!"

The other two triplets squeezed their brother's shoulders. It was bad enough for them. The Baudelaires were the Quagmires' best- and only- friends. But Duncan wasn't just friends with the Baudelaires. He was in love. In love with one of them, that is. Violet.

Then the Great Unknown swallowed the Quagmire youngsters up. Duncan clasped Isadora's hand, Isadora gripping Quigley's.

There was so much Duncan wanted to tell her. He wanted to thank her for saving his life, time and time again. He wanted to remind her to look out for herself sometimes- she took care of her siblings so well but never herself.

The triplets clung to each other. The Great Unknown was a dark place. Duncan wondered if he and his siblings were dead. After all, death and darkness were commonly associated with the unknown.

And just as suddenly as it had come, the Great Unknown melted away. Duncan looked around him. His siblings were still there, thank god.

"Where are we?" Isadora asked, but her voice had changed. She spoke less like a very adult youngster and more like a very young adult.

"It looks like Dr. Montgomery's yard. After the fire, I saw it. Look at the snake-shaped hedges. But this isn't his house." Quigley said, taking in their surroundings. His voice, too, had changed. His voice was lower, richer.

"We're not alone," Duncan remarked suddenly. Duncan was right. As the Quagmires gazed at the lawn, the door opened and a familiar face came into the sunlight. Klaus Baudelaire- or a young man who looked very like Klaus, but older- came out with a book.

Isadora blinked. "Klaus?" She called. "Is that you?"

Klaus immediately jumped up and looked around. His eyes fell on the Quagmires and he ran to them. "Isadora? Duncan? Quigley?" He cried. "You're still alive?"

"Still alive? Of course we are," Duncan said. "What do you mean? It can't have been that long since Kit delivered my message."

"Duncan, look at yourself," Quigley ordered. "Our hair is almost at our shoulders. Dora's is nearly at her waist. Isadora's dress is entirely too short. Duncan, feel your chin. You have the beginnings of a beard. My shirt is painfully tight." 

Quigley was the most detail-oriented of the triplets.

Klaus shook his head. "You three, please, come in. Sunny's at school. Violet is in her studio, but she'll come down." Klaus opened the door and led the three siblings inside. He had completely forgotten about his book. He picked up a device that looked like a walkie-talkie and spoke into it. "Vi, you won't believe this, but just trust me. The Quagmires are here."

The Quagmires heard Violet's shriek come from the walkie-talkie, but also heard it emanating from a room above their heads. Before they knew it, Violet had thrown herself at Duncan.

Duncan was caught up in the moment. He put his hand on Violet's cheek and kissed her. When he pulled away, Violet was staring at him, her face flushed. Klaus, Isadora, and Quigley looked faintly pleased. "I-I'm sorry, Violet. I was just-" Duncan started to explain, but Violet cut him off by kissing him again, more deeply.

When they surfaced, Violet took Duncan's hand in hers and told him, "I've been waiting to do that for years."

"Me too," Duncan smiled.

"As for me," Klaus smirked. "Seeing you, Quigley, Isadora, has been very good."

Violet and Duncan quickly pulled away from each other, Violet to embrace Quigley, then give Isadora and affectionate kiss on the cheek. Duncan went over to Klaus and hugged him.

"You'll have to tell us your stories," Klaus said, already getting out his commonplace book and a pencil. "I'd love to write them down to add to my research."

"I have a question," Duncan asked. "Violet, how old are you?"

"I'm 20," Violet said. "Klaus is 18, Sunny is 6."

"That makes us 19," Duncan told his siblings.

"Why do you ask?" Violet wanted to know.

"I just wanted to make sure I could legally ask you on a date," Duncan said, shyly. 

"If that's your way of asking, Duncan, my answer is yes." Violet blushed.

"Quigley, Isadora, come with me. We have an extensive library. You'll live here, with us, won't you? We have plenty of space," Klaus told the two Quagmires as he led them up the stairs.

Violet hugged Duncan. "The last I heard of you and your siblings was when Kit told me either you or Quigley called for me."

"It was me," Duncan said. "I just wanted to let you know that I missed you. We all missed you," Duncan said hurriedly. "It's just, well, I missed you the most."

Violet's lips twitched. "Come to my studio. It's also my room," She added when Duncan cocked his head at her. "Klaus insisted I have a bed in my workroom after I fell asleep on the workbench. Come on, we have a lot to talk about."