Imagine: Violet

Imagine Violet Baudelaire, eighteen years old. She's studying for her GED and her driver's license. Every day, she wakes up early to make breakfast for her siblings and her charge, Beatrice Snicket Baudelaire. Then she takes Klaus and Sunny to school, Beatrice to daycare. Then spends hours studying, interspersed with working part-time as a mechanic. Then goes on a run with Klaus when he gets home from school- they're averaging about a mile and a half together, so far. Violet thinks that it's helping Klaus with his trauma around running. Then tries to find after-school activities for gifted six-year-olds to find her sister some friends. Then spends hours listening to Beatrice babble about what she did at daycare that day. Then finds time to work on her own projects when she's put her sister and young charge to bed.

Her workspace is littered with empty coffee cups that missed the trash can, projects in various states of completion, and blueprints. The walls of her studio are whiteboards, with several blueprints and lists, stuck up with magnets. One reminded her that Klaus had a decathalon she needed to take him to in several weeks. Another told her that Beatrice's dance recital was only a month away. Another was a grocery list that Sunny had given her. There were several ingredients that Violet was unsure she could get at a normal grocery store.

In short, Violet was tired, and everybody knew it but her.

Months later, on the last day of school, which was a half day for Sunny, Violet came to Sunny's classroom with a ribbon still in her hair and a pair of pliers stuck in her back pocket. Sunny knew that Violet considered it to be the peak of untidiness to have her ribbon in her hair when she wasn't working. There were bags under Violet's eyes, and she rubbed at them as she spoke to Sunny's teacher. She didn't hear the children titter about the state of Sunny's guardian, otherwise the normally fierce woman would've said something. Then she took Sunny's hand and walked her out of the classroom.

"Did you have a good day at school?" Violet asked, yawning. "Last day, huh. Did your class do something fun?"

Sunny smiled at her sister. "No, it was rather boring. We watched Toy Story."

"Ah." Violet nodded, yawning again. "You played with toys, yes." She rubbed at her eyes. "That does sound boring."

Sunny studied her sister. "Vi, when was the last time you slept?" Sunny inquired, innocently.

"Oh, that." Violet flapped her hand vaguely. "It's alright, I'm fine. You see, I'm working on a project. It's very intricate, it involves lots of very complicated circuitry, and you see, Sun, I don't want to forget where I am. It's delicate." She looked at her sister. "Besides, I'm fine! I don't need more sleep." Violet would've walked into the road had Sunny not pulled her back.

"Vi, you're incredibly intelligent," she said, "But sometimes you don't think. Firstly, it's summer, so you have to relax. It's the rules. Second, Vi, you have to look both ways."

Violet smiled at her sister. "What would I do without you, Sunny?"

"You'd probably walk around with your entire toolbox and get hit by a car," Sunny said dryly. "Violet, when we get home, you're going to go straight to your room and go to bed."

Violet protested. She didn't need sleep. She needed to work harder, do better, so her siblings could relax, she tried to explain. She needed to finish her project. "It's a robot to help us with chores," Violet explained. "Isn't that amazing?"

"It will be there when you get up, Violet." Sunny was firm.

And indeed, when they entered their house, Sunny pushed Violet up the stairs, into her room, and onto her bed. Violet was asleep in minutes.

When Violet awoke, she found a tray of food on her bedside table, along with two notes.

The first read:
To Violet, the sister who does not need to prove herself anymore.
I hope you enjoyed your nap. Much needed, right? I bet you're thinking much more clearly now. Eat the food, you've slept through lunch and dinner.
From Sunny

The second read:
Vi-
Take care of yourself. I can take care of everything else for the time being. Sunny and I are giving you a vacation.
No, it is not optional.
Your exasperated yet loving brother,
Klaus

Well, Violet thought, if she had to take a vacation, she may as well go back to sleep.